IDC and DEMA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olddiver1950

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So my last post was January this year when I asked about IDC and at that time I decided to remain DiveMster. Well, I changed my mind and successfully completed my IDC and IE so now I'm an instructor though haven't started yet. My shop does offer some equipment discounts but not until I am active instructor and "show my value." So this is where DEMA comes in. I'm contemplating attending DEMA in November and I wonder if the exhibitors there offer equipment discounts as well. Anyone with experience with DEMA please let me know if it is a good show or one to be missed. Thanks!

So my last post was January this year when I asked about IDC and at that time I decided to remain DiveMster. Well, I changed my mind and successfully completed my IDC and IE so now I'm an instructor though haven't started yet. My shop does offer some equipment discounts but not until I am active instructor and "show my value." So this is where DEMA comes in. I'm contemplating attending DEMA in November and I wonder if the exhibitors there offer equipment discounts as well. Anyone with experience with DEMA please let me know if it is a good show or one to be missed. Thanks!

Attend to do what? Exhibitors deal with dealers. It is a "Trade Show" not a consumer show.

If you just want to see all the toys, you can probably just go for one day. But there are tons of seminars and workshops that you might find interesting or even valuable. It will certainly give you more perspective on the industry. You should let your shop know you would like to attend and see if you can go as a non buyer shop employee, assuming they attend.

Major discounts? Depends on the brand, and you are still probably better waiting to see if you can get a keyman price through your shop, on a brand they carry. Don't expect them to be too enthusiastic about you training in a gear brand they don’t sell.

There is some stuff for sale at DEMA, but not by the major manufacturers. A lot of small players are selling out of their booths, but little if any regulators, BCDs, computers, etc. And every company has different rules on keyman pricing. You might be able to talk yourself into it with a couple of them, but that would be the exception and not the rule.

So based on your shops requirement of being active first and you talking about Dema are you planning on teaching before November?

Deep DEMA discounts happen on Saturday when they are packing up the booths. They don't want to ship that crap back. :D :D :D

Attend to do what? Exhibitors deal with dealers. It is a "Trade Show" not a consumer show.

Yep, I completely understand as I spent a 35 year career attending WEF (Water Environment Federation) and AWWA (American Water Works Assn) "Shows" and conferences. So yes, it is a "Trade Show" but I also know that in "trade shows" there are opportunities for purchases and sales as indicated in other responses. And you ask "to do what?" and that would be to know the manufacturers, to network with other dive professionals, and to stay up on the latest in diving by attending the seminars. seems reasonable to me

No. There are no opportunities to buy goods at better rates as an individual at DEMA. You can get free candies at some of the booths. That's about it.

Thanks JackD. Sounds like good sound advice. I spent a career attending WEF and AWWA and I know it is nice to see the latest and greatest at one location. And I do realize my shop will want me to teach in gear that they sell so that's a no brainer but being able to see others and gain ideas is important to keep viable.

And the Chairman confirmed my thinking that there might be discounts at the end due to shipping, etc. That too is nice information. Thanks

Yep, I completely understand as I spent a 35 year career attending WEF (Water Environment Federation) and AWWA (American Water Works Assn) "Shows" and conferences. So yes, it is a "Trade Show" but I also know that in "trade shows" there are opportunities for purchases and sales as indicated in other responses. And you ask "to do what?" and that would be to know the manufacturers, to network with other dive professionals, and to stay up on the latest in diving by attending the seminars. seems reasonable to me

I have attended DEMA about 23 times and it isn't what you think it is in terms of "purchases and sales" for an individual instructor who isn't a dealer. There maybe some last day deals on some accessories that are insignificant not worth going to DEMA for by themselves. Don't expect that you go there to be able to buy a regulator(s) or some other dive equipment for yourself or your dive school if you aren't a dive center/shop and dealer. The other purposes you list are very good reasons to go and attend DEMA.

I have attended DEMA about 23 times and it isn't what you think it is in terms of "purchases and sales" for an individual instructor who isn't a dealer. There maybe some last day deals on some accessories that are insignificant not worth going to DEMA for by themselves. Don't expect that you go there to be able to buy a regulator(s) or some other dive equipment for yourself or your dive school if you aren't a dive center/shop and dealer. The other purposes you list and very good reasons to go and attend DEMA.

I have attended DEMA off and on since about 1978, originally as a dive travel exhibitor and later as an instructor. Your post pretty much sums it up. M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom