Free diving, tank sharing fatality - Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7 Things Freedivers NEVER Do (according to Freediving HD):
1. Never free dive after SCUBA diving
2. Never dive with the snorkel in your mouth
3. Never exhale underwater
4. Never hyperventilate
5. Never freedive after a blackout
6. Never freedive after a big meal
7. Never freedive alone

Why is it bad to exhale underwater?

He mentions:
1. You would discard the only source of air to complete the dive, which is in your lungs.
2. You would lose buoyancy even more and make it a lot harder to ascent.
3. You get extreem lung squeezed at depth.

He would exhale only when his head breaks the water surface. Some freediver exhale around 0.5m depth before breaking the surface.I have seen this in some freediving videos.

Obviously those things only apply to those who only start with the air breathed in before free diving, not for those who breathe from SCUBA tank at depth as the case of this accident.

As you see in this video of William Trubridge freediving under the Arch at Blue Hole of Dahab, Egypt, 58m depth & 30m traverse under the Arch without fins and with only one breath. He exhaled only when he was about 0.5m below the surface.

@Dan T
You have now become the "King of google," Toping @MaxBottomtime.

There is a local Cal Poly English professor who gives the students a specific assignment of reseching a particular subject at the library.

Many disregard his very specific assignment and use google-- which on this subject is totally incorrect. They submit their work and are failed.

You did well--
but be careful sometimes google is totally incorrect -- an example is the dive flag - Doc Dockery had no involvement in the red & white flag but takes credit total credit for its design and development. (according to Google )

I will have some personal SWBO tomorrow

SDM

@Marie13 CE

My husband was an awesome free diver. He always had the snorkel in his mouth, he exhaled slightly while underwater, and broke his depth record at age 70.

When I did the FII level 1 class about 2 years ago, my instructor was adamant in stating that if he caught you with your snorkel in your mouth more than twice, that would be an automatic failure of the class. Because a snorkel in the mouth is a drowning hazard. If you were to black out you would immediately get a lung full of water.

My husband was an MSDT and had been freediving for abalone for 50+ years. He always had the snorkel in his mouth. When he was younger he also taught freediving. For two years before he died, he was unable to dive due to medical reasons. The last year he improved so much he not only was cleared for freediving, but also scuba to 60 feet. He went right back out and after about a month freedived to 72 feet. He never had been able to break 70 feet before that.

Just because someone’s been doing it for a long time doesn’t make it a safe thing to do. Snorkel in mouth is dangerous regardless of what anyone has or hasn’t done, for however long.

Not wearing a seatbelt in a car also works for a lot of people, that doesn’t mean it’s safe to do or that’s it’s a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom