Redundant Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turn up your GF Lo, that will eliminate many of those shallower stops.
I appreciate how to modify the stops by altering the GF's, I'm more than happy to have slow ascents from 12m up (generally it doesn't matter as I'm not coming up a line but along a reef. I alway spad my SS and use 1m/min ascent to the surface from there. My comment was really based when things go a bit pear shaped and I have options.

I was comparing them to the recreational computers like my Cobra 3 and the Zoop Novo
While I get your intent it's not fair to compare a $1000 you would expect a comp costing 5x the price of basic computer to do more...

While I get your intent it's not fair to compare a $1000 you would expect a comp costing 5x the price of basic computer to do more...

The person I was replying to said she had Shearwaters and a D5, and a Zoop Novo. So I was making a point that I see little value in recreational Suuntos when one has Shearwaters.

In fact one of the main reasons I bought a second Teric last month was so that my Cobra 3 wouldn't limit me on my upcoming trip next week during the deep wreck dive.

Can you do that now? I could not set GF low higher than 49 with GF high above 90 last time I tried.

Teric Firmware 11 & 12 I have both set of 60/85.

In fact one of the main reasons I bought a second Teric last month was so that my Cobra 3 wouldn't limit me on my upcoming trip next week during the deep wreck dive.

It is not the computer that is limiting you, it is your training or willingness to do the stops.

It is not the computer that is limiting you, it is your training or willingness to do the stops.

I ran the Teric side by side with the Cobra 3, on multiple dives the Cobra 3's algorithm results in significantly less no stop time after the first dive, and quickly racks up deco. So my choice are to shorten my dives, do extended hangs, or let it lock up which means I lose the benefits of having two computers.

As I move into AN/DP the Cobra 3 doesn't support accelerated deco at all, just EAN50, and the Cobra 3 had quite a large console compared to the SPG and Teric I replaced it with. Also the two Terics can move with me seamlessly for sidemount for basic cave (doubles are problematic due to my physical disability).

on multiple dives the Cobra 3's algorithm results in significantly less no stop time after the first dive, and quickly racks up deco. So my choice are to shorten my dives, do extended hangs, or let it lock up which means I lose the benefits of having two computers.

Or have longer surface intervals. Yes, for accelerated deco you need a multigas computer really, although as a backup if you have a plan for deco then a bent single gas one will do. It is remarkable how late in the dive they bend.

“Quickly racks up deco”? You understand that for a 30m dive 1 minute of stops will show as a TTS of about 7 minutes? This depends on the model, but for the simpler ones they seem to like to include the SS as well as ascent and actual stops.

You could buy an Aqualung i300c for a LOT less money and spend the difference on diving.

How is your eyesight? The Teric owner I know is now considering a prescription mask. It seems like if you are old enough to afford one you are old enough to need reading glasses.

Or have longer surface intervals.

Unless you do a 16 hour surface interval the algorithm of the Cobra 3 is going to have reduced no stop times compared to a pure dissolved gas algorithm. It is the nature of the bubble model based algorithms that they reduce the no stop time based on your ascents.

Personally if I know that no stop time is going to be an issue I try to maximize my surface intervals, but on the typical double dip charter you have 3 hours from tie in until tie off. So I get at most a little over an hour of a SI. But regardless of how long of an interval the Cobra 3 would always be more conservative after the first dive.

Yes, for accelerated deco you need a multigas computer really, although as a backup if you have a plan for deco then a bent single gas one will do. It is remarkable how late in the dive they bend.

Yeah it doesn't bend until the end of the dive, but then it stays bent for 48 hours, and will be inaccurate for deco information after that. Which defeats the purpose of having a second computer, particularly when you are on a long expensive dive trip.

“Quickly racks up deco”? You understand that for a 30m dive 1 minute of stops will show as a TTS of about 7 minutes? This depends on the model, but for the simpler ones they seem to like to include the SS as well as ascent and actual stops.

Identical dives Teric is showing 1 minute of deco that clears up on ascent, Cobra 3 has a 15 minute hang at 10ft, not a 15 minute TTS from the bottom, but a 15 minute stop. Now in that case I did it on purpose as I wanted to see what the difference was between the two computers.

You could buy an Aqualung i300c for a LOT less money and spend the difference on diving.

And it would be unsuitable for Tech diving. Even if you exclude the ability to do tech Shearwater computers are markedly better than those computers, sure there are recreational computers with similar features like OLED screens and WAI, but they are almost the same price as a Shearwater, Garmin, or Ratio.

Other than a rebreather and more tanks, time limits my diving more than cash flow.

How is your eyesight? The Teric owner I know is now considering a prescription mask. It seems like if you are old enough to afford one you are old enough to need reading glasses.

Pretty good so far.

Don't get me wrong, I think that recreational computers like the Cobra 3 and others have their place. They are perfectly suitable for the average diver, particularly those that do the typical DM guided dives of vacation divers. But my purposes where I am on the edge of going tech, am routinely diving below 100 feet, and in low light environments they aren't suitable for me.

And even for those that would see the benefit of a tech computer like a Shearwater I don't advocate someone just going and dropping the cash on two at once. If you have a perfectly serviceable computer, run it as a backup, just know that you will either have to make a choice to follow the likely more conservative algorithm or bend it. If and when you can afford a second tech computer, then upgrade.

Identical dives Teric is showing 1 minute of deco that clears up on ascent, Cobra 3 has a 15 minute hang at 10ft, not a 15 minute TTS from the bottom, but a 15 minute stop. Now in that case I did it on purpose as I wanted to see what the difference was between the two computers.

Can you post the profile, or at least, depth, time and sequence - ie first dive vs second etc?

And it would be unsuitable for Tech diving.

Why? It is a multi gas computer, it does accelerated deco. The only issue is working out an approximation to plan with, that isn’t too hard having done a few dives using a reasonable limit of TTS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom