Free diving, tank sharing fatality - Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you pass out, your muscles would relax. I experienced it myself. When I passed out, I wet myself as my bladder was full at the time. Luckily I didn’t injure my head when I fell unconscious. I can imagine your air passage would also relax and open when you pass out.

Glad to hear that you haven’t experienced a SWBO. Make sure you don’t freedive alone too!
If that’s the case your mouth will fall open. The first thing you learn when freediving using a snorkel is to keep a pressure of air in the mouth piece that’s what keeps the water out.

Rules are made to prevent recurrence of past accidents.
Sounds like someone miss understanding how a freediver uses a snorkel and came up with a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

If that’s the case your mouth will fall open. The first thing you learn when freediving using a snorkel is to keep a pressure of air in the mouth piece that’s what keeps the water out.

How do you learn about freediving?
My info is passed from a freediving course
How do you keep "pressure of air at the mouthpiece" when diving to 100ft
Breathing out will deplete your 02 and make you more negative

How do you learn about freediving?
My info is passed from a freediving course
How do you keep "pressure of air at the mouthpiece" when diving to 100ft
Breathing out will deplete your 02 and make you more negative
You never exhale on a descent free diving and when did I mention 100 feet. Are you trying to put words in my mouth. I said the first thing you learn when using a snorkel is to keep a pressure of air at the mouthpiece to prevent water entering your mouth.

What’s the protocol in such situation? If the rescuer sees such situation, would the rescuer remove the snorkel from the rescuee and close his / her mouth before ascending or put a reg if the rescuer were a Scuba diver?

World class freedivers NEVER dive with a snorkel in their mouth. People who learned how to do it 40 years ago might. Dive saftey has been much improved since then...The old way is irrelevant to what is safest.

If that’s the case your mouth will fall open.

According to the video posted by @seeker242 in post #67 above, Adam, the Australian record holding freediver and PADI freediver instructor trainer that mouth falling open situation would not happen right away. The brain survival instinct while underwater would prevent water from getting into the lungs for a few minutes until level oxygen in the blood sufficiently low to shutdown everything except the brain. At that point then your mouth would fall open.

According to the video posted by @seeker242 in post #67 above, Adam, the Australian record holding freediver and PADI freediver instructor trainer that mouth falling open situation would not happen right away. The brain survival instinct while underwater would prevent water from getting into the lungs for a few minutes until level oxygen in the blood sufficiently low to shutdown everything except the brain. At that point then your mouth would fall open.
Very good video, but i didn’t hear any mention of a snorkel, I can see why a snorkel isn’t needed where the aim of the dive is to go deep but if spear fishing the snorkel is needed to keep your eye on the prey. The fact is a snorkel has no influence on shallow water blackout in your mouth or out of it.

The snorkel has no affect on the onset of SWBO. The snorkel may have a fatal influence on what happens after the SWBO. The aim of spearfishing is to get to the fish, some fish swim deep. I will continue to dive as I was trained WITHOUT A SNORKEL IN MY MOUTH.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom