sitech oval vs round quick cuff / quickneck vs neoprene neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not true - anymore.

@Dive Right In Scuba is now carrying the Waterproof replaceable Neoprene Neck Seal. It works with the Quick Neck (and other) replaceable seal system. You can now have your lunch and eat it, too.

Neoprene Neckseal

:D

@Zef, this might be just the ticket for your wife.
Have you tried this yet? I’m waiting to see how it works for you before I give it a try.

I’m really tempted by this! I have the Ultima but I’ve got small hands and really would prefer the oval glove rings. I’m sure DRIS will be selling it when available.
Just a guess but since SiTech makes them I bet they will be replacing the dismal antaries before long. I’ve been using the Virgo system for a while, it’s bulky but the bayonet lock and unlock it great.

Have you tried this yet? I’m waiting to see how it works for you before I give it a try.

I have not. But, I just ordered one.

I was waiting to order, thinking I would order a Seaskin neoprene suit with a Quick Neck and get one of these for that. I have not ordered the neoprene suit yet. But, your post made me realize, duh! I can just put one on my trilam suit to try it out.

I'll post back after I've tried it. It will probably be at least 3 weeks.

But, I noted this in the article:
When not using drygloves, the O-ring can be removed and replaced with a silicone band to protect the O-ring groove.
If I understand this correctly, the Ellipse O-ring is on the suit side, unlike the Ultimas, where the O-ring is on the glove side.

I don't think I'm very thrilled about that.

If I understand this correctly, the Ellipse O-ring is on the suit side, unlike the Ultimas, where the O-ring is on the glove side.

I’m not sure myself now either.

I'm glad you pointed that out. My memory done me wrong. I was thinking the Ultima had the O-ring on the suit side. I checked pics and see that it's not. However, the sealing area on the suit side IS outward facing, as I remembered. That is what I think is not as good as the Kubi setup, where the sealing area is inward facing (on the suit side). The glove side has the sealing O-ring and the O-ring and sealing area face outward.

It's just a feeling, but I feel like having the sealing surface facing outward on the suit side makes it a little bit more likely that you could get a scratch or a gouge there, when diving without dry gloves, that would make it not seal well anymore.

Also, when donning, having the glove liner on the same side of the sealing area on the glove ring seems like it would be more prone to catch some part of the glove liner in the seal between the glove ring and suit ring. With the Kubi glove ring, the glove liner is on one side of the glove ring and the sealing O-ring is on the other side. Less like for the glove liner to get pinched into the seal. Less likely for any lint/hair/etc on the glove liner to get on the sealing O-ring.

But, like I said, whether the small advantages are worth all the extra money is something each individual would have to decide.

I prefer the Oval cuffs as I don't have large hands, get the new neck seal system (Quick Neck).
When I used hard rings, I preferred the Oval cuffs as I have wide hands (and the round ones seemed ginormous).

Not true - anymore.

@Dive Right In Scuba is now carrying the Waterproof replaceable Neoprene Neck Seal. It works with the Quick Neck (and other) replaceable seal system. You can now have your lunch and eat it, too.

Neoprene Neckseal

:D

@Zef, this might be just the ticket for your wife.

Thanks. I saw something similar on aqulung's website just last week. The one month AL site is made by si-tech...I wonder if waterproof has a partnership with them or a licensing agreement. We ordered the quick neck system and the oval cuff rings....the suit is not due to arrive for a couple more weeks. For the summer the silicone seal should ve ok but it is nice to know that there is a quick change neoprene seal for winter if she needs the warmth on her neck....apparently the company making the suit doe not put a warming collar on neoprene suits when installing the neck ring systems...the shop owner mentioned it makes things too bulky up top...We'll see soon enough.

Also, when donning, having the glove liner on the same side of the sealing area on the glove ring seems like it would be more prone to catch some part of the glove liner in the seal between the glove ring and suit ring.
Well, so far I've never had that problem.

Back
Top Bottom