Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As we've all seen this happen many times, the media can blow things out of proportion, but they can also discover hidden issues or disturbing trends in events. If you don't know what I mean, google Satanic Panic and Watergate, which are two extremes cases (one on each side).

A logical mind would ask:

What is the average tourist death rate in Dominican Republic?
Has it recently changed?
What is the average tourist death rate in other similar Caribbean places?
How does that compare to my city or state, or places I frequently visit?

I have only read a few articles about the recent deaths in Dominican Republic, but I'll bet that no reporter bothered to investigate such questions, since it might soften the sensational and hyperbolic nature of their headlines. Sorry to be such a cynic.

To the flip side of this, what deaths aren't we hearing about because the possible tourist deaths in question aren't US citizens? I am waiting to read about the autopsy findings, but I would be a little suspicious until they come out..

Like previously mentioned....Unless it REALLY escalates, we're headed there in August.

To the flip side of this, what deaths aren't we hearing about because the possible tourist deaths in question aren't US citizens?

Yes, this kinda hints at the other issue, like who is hiding what? Maybe hiding something with this specific event. But generally gathering any useful data might be difficult since local authorities in tourist destinations don't want to disrupt the tourist trade. We probably can't reasonably know what average historical data might look like...

I am waiting to read about the autopsy findings, but I would be a little suspicious until they come out..

US autopsy? I thought I heard or read someone will be repatriated to the USA for this.

I was just there not to long ago, and had no issues at all. I found it to be a pretty safe place.

And now it's a group of Jimmy Buffet die-hards that got sick there.

We're not really big drinkers so if this happened at a destination we'd already booked at we'd probably still go and avoid alcohol on the island (bring your own, as previously mentioned). If you bought the coverage that allows you to cancel for just about any reason, maybe you cancel.

I will be very curious to see how authorities in DR handle these deaths and illnesses.

Back
Top Bottom