Diving the Comal River June 22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Klieb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My daughter and I will be diving the Comal on the 21st we are looking for tips to make it the best dive we can. Where is the best place to get in where should we get out it will be our first trip here. anything we should be on the look out for good or bad? We are planning on being in the water by about 8 am out well when we reach the end or reach the end of gas.

We always enjoyed our dives on the Comal. Very easy entrance and exit at the stairs at Hinman Island Park (GPS Coordinate 29.708512, -98.123922). There is a public restroom and parking area. We gear up on the tailgate and walk the short walk to the stairs. Swim upstream as far as you want to go...we usually go a little past Texas Tubes and then turn around.

Do a little research pre-dive on the Endangered Fountain Darter and Rio Grande Cichlid as well as the Guadalupe Spotted Bass. All are easily spotted on the dive.

Water temp is usually @ 72 so a full suit is a good idea.

Night dives are also lots of fun. Giant Plecostomus hang out on the stairs and lots of crawfish scatter the bottom.

Enjoy...post a dive report for us.

Swim upstream as far as you want to go...we usually go a little past Texas Tubes and then turn around.
I'm guessing the current is bad to swim against? I can see where that would allow for having just one vehicle.
I will do some research on those fish and be on the look out for them. Thanks for the points. I think I am going to bring a mesh bag to pick up some of the sunken treasure that the tubers have lost lol . And I will be sure to post when we get done with the dive for everyone.

It is summer time, and a lot of dive shops and local divers may also be using the Hinman Island Park for training and rec diving pretty early in the morning, so parking may be a bit iffy at the small parking area near the bathroom and stairs. As you are walking down the stairs to the water below the bathroom, look to your left and you will see a small stream coming in from the left. The water in that stream is generally warmer than the Comal River, so when you are coming downstream on your dive, and you hit a warm patch of water, it is probably time to exit left before you hit the tube chutes. I know some folks think it is fun going down the chutes, but I can't imagine doing it in scuba gear--but then again, I am an old guy and don't bounce as easily as I used to. Have fun.

It is summer time, and a lot of dive shops and local divers may also be using the Hinman Island Park for training and rec diving pretty early in the morning, so parking may be a bit iffy at the small parking area near the bathroom and stairs. As you are walking down the stairs to the water below the bathroom, look to your left and you will see a small stream coming in from the left. The water in that stream is generally warmer than the Comal River, so when you are coming downstream on your dive, and you hit a warm patch of water, it is probably time to exit left before you hit the tube chutes. I know some folks think it is fun going down the chutes, but I can't imagine doing it in scuba gear--but then again, I am an old guy and don't bounce as easily as I used to. Have fun.
I did it in full scuba gear twice back in August 2016. Wasn't bad at all and was kinda fun getting under in the whirlpools at the end looking for valuables. Not that you can really find any because you get spit out pretty quickly, but it was still fun times. As for the rest of the float from that point on, I spent most of my time inflated on the surface fielding Scuba Steve comments. I did rescue an iPhone at the exit on the second trip down that day though. Black case, black rock bottom, lots of people in the water.....not sure how I even found it for the guy, but I managed. Good times!

Well the Dive went great after we found where to get into the water. Hinman Island park rd was closed on the weekend so we had to go to Prince Solmns park the water was alittle chilly at 73 degrees but we did see a lot of fish and even found some loot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom