Primary Regulator with a Necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done it both ways and haven't had any trouble either way...and I even had to donate my backup reg once. LOL

MikeFerrara:
It wouldn't have any effect on your trim.

haha sorry I wrote that jokingly really late at night. I meant the extra newton or two of force required to propel yourself through the water could completely throw off your gas consumption. :wink:

I found this thread because I am slightly intimidated by the fact that someone may kick my primary regulator out of my mouth. To mitigate this, I attached my secondary regulator to my right shoulder. Its yellow and therefore visible and actually not very far from my mouth/primary regulator. I would say 10 cm (4 inches) away.
In the event that I loose my primary, I can yank and grab my secondary. An OOA diver can (hopefully) yank my yellow secondary.

I am thinking of putting my primary on a necklace - but not tightly. A medium yank will get it off - because if I lost my primary, it wouldn't go far and if an OOA diver yanked it, it would come loose and they could use it and I can reach my very nearby secondary.

What do you guys think?

I found this thread because I am slightly intimidated by the fact that someone may kick my primary regulator out of my mouth.

When playing follow the leader maintain a reasonable interval, and if a fin should get too close just grab it, after they realize it wasen't Jaws, they will avoid you. Situational awareness on your part should minimize or eliminate the problem.

Spend some time practicing loosing your primary and switching to your secondary, and losing and recovering your primary. Practice untill it's boring. Do that with any skill you find intimidating, as those will probably be the issues that will turn you to panic if things start going badly.

Personally, I have a discussion with my buddy on the proper location for a buddy, and behind is not acceptable. The few times I have had to follow a guide and behind another buddy pair, I stay to the side or above so I can keep track of them, and their fins.

Bob

Why are you diving with assholes?

You got the wrong guy. If someone's getting their regulator kicked out of their mouth it's not the fault of the person in front of them. Most of us don't have eyes in the back of our heads and even if we did we are not responsible for kicking a diver who gets too close to our fins.

This happened to my girlfriend's young son in Coz last year while following the DM on the C53 wreck. I didn't see it happen but they suddenly stopped and the DM was writing on the slate "Keep your distance". Her son was so right on top of the DM he got his mask kicked off his face. That's on him. Well, off him. But you know what I mean.

I am thinking of putting my primary on a necklace - but not tightly. A medium yank will get it off - because if I lost my primary, it wouldn't go far and if an OOA diver yanked it, it would come loose and they could use it and I can reach my very nearby secondary.

What do you guys think?
Put your secondary on the necklace so it will be right where you can find it if you need it. If someone comes to you for gas, give them your primary. Adjust hose lengths accordingly.

When playing follow the leader maintain a reasonable interval, and if a fin should get too close just grab it, after they realize it wasen't Jaws, they will avoid you. Situational awareness on your part should minimize or eliminate the problem.

Spend some time practicing loosing your primary and switching to your secondary, and losing and recovering your primary. Practice untill it's boring. Do that with any skill you find intimidating, as those will probably be the issues that will turn you to panic if things start going badly.

Personally, I have a discussion with my buddy on the proper location for a buddy, and behind is not acceptable. The few times I have had to follow a guide and behind another buddy pair, I stay to the side or above so I can keep track of them, and their fins.

Bob

Good point with the practice.

Put your secondary on the necklace so it will be right where you can find it if you need it. If someone comes to you for gas, give them your primary. Adjust hose lengths accordingly.

Lengths are apt. Primary slightly longer than secondary.

You got the wrong guy. If someone's getting their regulator kicked out of their mouth it's not the fault of the person in front of them. Most of us don't have eyes in the back of our heads and even if we did we are not responsible for kicking a diver who gets too close to our fins.

Okay that's fair..............to rephrase, WHY would you want to be involved in a cluster**** of a dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom