Question about PADI training standards for Open Water Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edwants2dive

Glowstick
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wads not exactly where to post this but here goes.
I know there are a lot of instructors here and this question is directed at you guys and gals. On the final open water dive required for the cert is the instructor (or their assistant) required to be in the water with the students? I know that all the skills should be completed before the final dive but shouldn't there be at least a dive master on that dive?

(let the games begin):)

For SDI, at least Assistant Instructor is required for OWD dives 3 and 4. 99% chance for PADI having the same rules.

Absolutely there should be a pro in the water, as they are still students and not yet certified divers.
You raise an interesting point about “ could it be just the divemaster?”
I suppose that depends on just when the “tour” portion of the dive starts, and would require clarification from PADI before I would think I was allowed to sit out the entire dive. I doubt they would support that point of view.

Page 53 of the PADI Instructor Manual, Direct Supervision item #3 of the Open Water Diver Course. "Instructor conducts and directly supervises all open water dives."

It then goes on to say that an exception would be a certified assistant at a 2:1 ratio. So, no popcorn needed. No debate to start. Simply open the PADI Instructor Manual and read the rules.

I don't know about with PADI but with other agencies aren't the students left to their own devices after completing the navigation part of the last dive? Basically do the nav, come back and check in with the instructor then go on a tour by themselves for the rest of the dive? That's the way I've always seen it done at the OW class I took and the ones I've DM'd. The ones I've DM'd I've still been in the water but not directly supervising unless a diver was a minor.

OK I was not going to go into the whole story but maybe I should, just to set the stage.

Weekend dive trip to a lake somewhere in the Ozarks staying on a rented house boat. Mix of certified open water divers, students, and one instructor no dive master (the highest certified diver was AOW). The instructor led the first 3 dives and had the students complete all skills during those dives (including navigation). Dives 1&2 were in one location on the lake Saturday and dive 3 was at another location on the same lake. After dive 3 the had lunch and prepared to do dive 4 the instructor had them buddy up with another diver one pair was a husband and wife pair that were both students.The second pair were also husband and wife the wife was the student husband was OWD with all of 6 dives. The third pair was a single student paired with an AOW certified diver with all of 15 dives. They were told to go dive and spend at least 20 minutes of time or use 1000 PSI of air for the dive to "count" the instructor did NOT gear up and enter the water with any of the groups during that dive. Myself and my buddy were the only other divers in the water in the area (we are both OW with around 25 dives each and were doing a dive during the day in preparation to do the same dive again that night. I was quite taken aback with the fact that the instructor was not leading the groups with students I guess I should have spoken up and expressed my concerns right then but I didn't because I was not 100% sure of the standards. Now I believe that they were not followed properly.

So I ask you all's advice what should I do?

Re-read post #5?

I understand post #5. I guess what I am really asking here is do I report this? I feel like I should but then I don't want to be a tattle tail, and what if any impact could it have on the student divers' certification?

Please report this. No student should be without their instructor until they sign the paperwork saying that they are certified. I've seen instructors "bless" their students during a dive and that doesn't cut it. Get the paperwork done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom