Unindentified Sailing Canal Sloop (Lake Champlain, VT)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I wanted to share a video from last Sunday's dive. This unidentified sailing canal sloop is probably one of the most preserved and pristine wrecks that I've ever dove in Lake Champlain. Artifacts galore. She is a virtual time capsule sitting in approximately 100ffw (30m). Based on her size (length/beam) and build, she is estimated to be early to mid 19th century. I was glad to be able to get a chance to dive on her.

Deadeyes and block pulleys are scattered everywhere on the wreck. Everything is still on it as it went down, cargo of coal, rudder and tiller intact, mast still on wreck and attached to tabernacle. Anchor still stowed on starboard side with another anchor on deck. The stern windows remind me of a pirate ship.
1f642.png
:)

This little 4 minute video was the result of about 43 minutes video footage (a lot of repeat footage) that I cut down. I usually try for 3-4 minute videos since they say the average YouTube viewer has a very short attention span, even 4 minutes is sometimes far too long but I find cutting videos down to be the most difficult part of the process.

Fantastic day of diving on the R/V Amazon on Lake Champlain!

Nice work. Looks like a great dive.

I see you have zebra mussels there, too...

Great video! Is this dive available to public?

2:07 - the cutest dead-eye ever seen if that makes sense.

Great video! Is this dive available to public?

Unfortunately this particular wreck is not part of the Lake Champlain's Underwater Historic Preserve. The Lake Champlain Maritime Museum (LCMM) politely asked we did not disclose the location / numbers. This wreck was located by a private research vessel.

I do hope they eventually open and add more sites to the underwater historical preserve.

Unfortunately this particular wreck is not part of the Lake Champlain's Underwater Historic Preserve. The Lake Champlain Maritime Museum (LCMM) politely asked we did not disclose the location / numbers. This wreck was located by a private research vessel.

I do hope they eventually open and add more sites to the underwater historical preserve.

That’s unfortunate. Oh well, I still have a lot of the Preserve wrecks to dive.

Nice work. Looks like a great dive.

I see you have zebra mussels there, too...

I meant to respond to this last month but yeah unfortunately zebra mussels have colonized Lake Champlain. Started around 1993 so a little bit after the Great Lakes.

As of now quagga mussels have not colonized Lake Champlain so most of the deeper wrecks remain bare wood but it's just a matter of time until quaggas get a foothold here. They have the potential to do the most damage to the wrecks and ecosystem but it would be interesting to see what happens with regards to water clarity if they do colonize. I really hope they remain out of the lake since I enjoy seeing bare wood on wrecks instead of seeing a wreck shaped object covered in quagga mussels.

Thanks.

Cool vid and nice choice of music!

Back
Top Bottom