Andy Phillips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is so sad. It's hard to find people like him, who have touched so many people's lives. I just returned from Utila last month and spent a few weeks in my instructor alma mater that UDC was. Ten years after becoming an instructor, I had quite an interesting chat with Andy about diving, tech diving in particular, and life itself. We discussed midlife, getting older, and just what made the soul tick. Im happy I shared thhose chats with him, and we even went on a quick tech dive. What a shock and a bummer. But honestly, his very distinctive disposition, fun character, big laugh and positive attitude will me remembered for a very long time. So long Andy.

A devastating blow to the UDC family, and scuba diving at large.

Spending time with Andy made you wonder actually how many hours are in a day... But he always had the time to be the hardest working, most amiable, most helpful, most fun loving. Whatever the situation required whether work or play, Andy did it effortlessly.

I consider myself lucky enough to have called him a friend, and in so many of my best dive memories he is right there in the water with me. His diving fingerprints are all over me, and all over thousands upon thousands of others as well, and that may well live on forever.

But quite simply, we have just lost one of the best of us and it’s a tough pill to swallow.

My sincerest condolences to the rest of the UDC family grieving,

We will have a drink when we meet again.... Rest In Peace Andy

I did my AOW and Rescue in Utila at UDC but not with Andy.

Was alerted to his passing through diving friends on FB. All I could find on the story was this article
Acclaimed Instructor Trainer Andy Phillips Dies in St. Lawrence River Dive

Key point: he passed away in the St. Lawrence River in Canada not in Utila.

Rest in peace Andy. My condolences to his family and friends.

I spoke at great lengths with Andy before taking my DM with UDC. What made Andy so special, I talk even greater lengths after the course for ,any years. He always had time to discuss diving and dive instruction with anyone just about any where. I have been using his videos for years not during my DM and IDC courses...the really set the standard high.

I will miss our chats. RIP

It has been my privilege to have been Andy's friend from before his dive career even started andy was a fun loving hard working friend I will never forget the 3 months I spent with andy at gecko divers when he had just started out in the diving world even back then he loved what he was doing and he did it with that massive smile on his face
Diving didn't bite me like it did him but we have always stayed in contact since
His sister came to my house on Saturday night to pass on the news of what has happened to my friend I will never forget all the things me and him got upto and when ever we would meet up when he was back in the uk we would laugh and joke about the good old days
I have always been proud of the person he was and what he had achieved even more so now at reading all the comments on different platforms by the people he came into contact with
The dive community and the world have lost a force of a human and I'm sure he will live on in the memories of many for years to come
I know I can speak for his sister when I say thank you to everyone who have passed on the respect and condolences at this very sad time
Rest in peace andy Phillip's and I'm sure I'll catch you later bro

I don't think I ever spoke to Andy personally, but I remember him from my time on Utila, diving with UDC. Once on their mailing list, Andy's presence nearly got me to return to finish that DM course ... but I regret I never did. I can't imagine what the atmosphere on Utila must be like this week. My deepest condolences to his loved ones.

I only had a passing acquaintance with Andy, but it was a memorable one for me. My daughter lived in Utila for a while and did some training at UDC when Andy was there. I popped down for a week to dive with her. Late afternoon beverages on the dock may or may not have led to my walking back to the Mango Inn in my wetsuit at 11 at night. I do recall he had a head full of useless trivia, as I do.

It's sad when a pillar of the community is lost. He was a friend and mentor to so many, including my kid. She is in disbelief that "this" could happen to him. I've had to renew my pledge to dive carefully with her as a result.

It's my understanding there are still some folks looking for him "unofficially" and I hope that they are successful in their search for the sake of his loved ones.

Deepest sympathy...and sincere condolences...

I didn't know Andy...

W...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom