Atomic reg performance (vs other Atomic)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lived in London over the past several months while on a project and the prices there aren't any cheaper than the US for sure.
Not true - at least for the t3 I was looking at. definitely cheaper in the UK.

Even in the US, I would argue that $1000 is a significant amount... That's pretty much my monthly mortgage payment, so to me that's a significant figure.

Mind if I ask where you live? Here $1000 is a rent for a room in someone's home. Average 1 bed qapartment rent is like $2500. Mortgage is like $5-7k. No disposable income at all. ,,

he acted all bent out of shape about it. That's after we had already purchased close to $1000 worth of stuff between the two of us.

Even in the US, I would argue that $1000 is a significant amount... That's pretty much my monthly mortgage payment, so to me that's a significant figure.

The $283 maybe just few dollars more than the wholesale price in the US if that much.

Burhan summarized pretty well... the amount isn't as significant to the LDS as the profit or margin. If you spent $1000 with him and he only made $100, it isn't boding well for his business. When the cost nearly equals the return you are only shifting revenue around and not generating any profits. You have to generate profits to pay rent, utilities, insurance, staff, etc.

Not really pushing here, just highlighting the possibility of the situation. I have my own opinions of how the dive industry and the typical LDS has put itself in a bind. Constantly discounting and loss-leading on fills, training, trips, rental, and service... all to make it up on selling gear. Which is the one area where they are least able to compete doesn't have to be done locally. But that is a topic for a different time.

My backup reg will probably end up being a Deep6.

I think you will be surprised... it might become your primary reg.

Mind if I ask where you live? Here $1000 is a rent for a room in someone's home. Average 1 bed qapartment rent is like $2500. Mortgage is like $5-7k. No disposable income at all. ,,

Richmond VA. But we also put down a good amount; otherwise we'd be looking at just over $2000

Not true - at least for the t3 I was looking at. definitely cheaper in the UK.

I was there for almost 6 months and have shopped around and I still didn't find it less expensive than the US. I also found out that if you buy it there and try to get the VAT back when you leave through the airport, you don't get the whole VAT you paid refunded to you, you actually get only half of it back since the other half the dive shop gets as a commission. What is worse, not all stores have the paperwork required for the VAT refund. If they don't have it and give you the filled out forms signed by them, no refund.

Back
Top Bottom