Undercurrent Magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been a subscriber to Undercurrent for longer than I have been a member of SB (2004).

Undercurrent has never had any advertising and destination reviewers do not announce their presence and pay their own way. I find it unbiased and objective. Undercurrent has slowly but surely become more modern in its delivery and services. I receive my issues by email/PDF. On the member website, you can download past issues, review current and past reader trip reviews by geographic location, submit your own reviews (recently added option for uploading photos), and search on use other functions such as destination guides.

When I am researching a new trip option, my strategy includes searching Undercurrent and SB, doing internet search of the destination and operators, posting resulting questions on SB, and contacting lodging, operator, liveaboard... as needed. The strategy has been highly successful.

Incorrect

That took you 14 years to formulate a response? rofl

I read UC until I found out they really did solicit money & comps from the subjects of their articles. Maybe, in 15 years, they’ve quit accepting pay offs, like they might now be publishing photos.

That took you 14 years to formulate a response? rofl

I read UC until I found out they really did solicit money & comps from the subjects of their articles. Maybe, in 15 years, they’ve quit accepting pay offs, like they might now be publishing photos.
So, how did you " found out they really did solicit money & comps from the subjects of their articles." ?

Two people from two resorts in management capacity told me this in great detail. UC later wrote two conflicting versions of admitting/explaining this.

Ancient history, but history nevertheless. Back in the days of what they then called their newsletters: a “Chap Book”

Here’s the definition of a “chap book”:

A small pamphlet contains tales, ballads, typically containing poems and fiction, sold by peddlers

You’re right here now at SB, where more facts are available from the widest sourcing. And- it’s free.

Ancient history, I’m sure it’s all a-ok nowadays.

Internet Police and all.

I found Undercurrents' Diver's Chapbook useful back when I subscribed

I like the mag and find it informative. I also believe in supporting—to the extent one reasonably can—the dive industry and pubs like this.

Hi @Doc

The Undercurrent Chapbook was always separate from the monthly publication. The Chapbook is a compilation of all of the reader reviews for the year. When both were paper publications, the Chapbook was included in your subscription. Now that Undercurrent is all electronic publication, the Chapbook is available as Kindle, Epub, and PDF. The monthly publication is available by download. Members have full access to all current and past reader reviews, as well as destination and travel guides and current and past articles.

Undercurrent has been continuously published since 1975, They do not take advertisements. I have never heard that they ever took payments or other items of value from review destinations, but, I have no personal knowledge of this topic

Two people from two resorts in management capacity told me this in great detail. UC later wrote two conflicting versions of admitting/explaining this.

You’re right here now at SB, where more facts are available from the widest sourcing. And- it’s free.

Ancient history, I’m sure it’s all a-ok nowadays.

Internet Police and all.
Well, there are certainly Internet Police here. And certainly some opinions offered here about travel experiences have had significant push back. I do prefer the full unadulterated opinion of things. Push Back on UC comes in the next issue in the form of letters to the editor which allows for rumination rather than the "hot fire" of smashing keys.

I always liked Undercurrent and still do, the time or two that I see it.

If I wasn't so busy in here, I'd probably use it more often.

Back
Top Bottom