Where can I rent equipment and go on a dive in New England?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Although I am an experienced diver, I have been strictly a vacation diver and do not own any of my own equipment.

I recently moved back to New England and am looking for a dive shop that offers rental equipment and guided dives (shore dive or charter). Preferably in Maine or Massachusetts, but I may be willing to drive as far south as Rhode Island.

I read about a place in a 2016 article called Harbor Divers out of Bass Harbor near Acadia National Park (ME), but I tried to google them and couldn't find them. I suspect they are no longer in business.

When I previously lived in Boston, over a decade ago, I was able to rent gear and do free guided shore dives with Cape Anne Divers out of Gloucester (MA). I just googled them and read an announcement on their website that they have shuttered their operations as of December 16, 2017.

Does such a place exist in New England anymore?

I'm not sure exactly where in NE you are. Between the coasts of Maine to Massachusetts you have a few options. In Boston East Coast Divers regularly does shore dives and offers rentals. I believe Boston Scuba does as well. In New Hampshire Atlantic Aquasport in Rye does group shore dives as does Aquatic Escapes out of Londonderry. Their sites may not be up to date but facebook or a call will probably give you the latest info. I'm not too sure about the ME dive shops but at least this should give you an idea of what's available. The diving out on Cape Ann is still great though the closing of CAD did throw off the charter boat situation. CAD II is still running with a new captain. Captain Steve from that boat (when CAD owned it) has his own - Charterboat1. The Daybreaker is going strong as is Down Under. Welcome back!

Would love to do at least one day of diving this summer.

Currently reside in Portland, Maine.

I'm willing to drive a couple of hours, camp, spend the weekend.

I came across a dive shop in Newport, RI, but didn't have time to dive at the time.

@Salt Portsmouth Scuba in Portsmouth, NH does free guided shore dives every once in a while, as well as trips to the Isles of Shoals to dive with grey seals.

If you’re looking to camp, you can camp on Cape Ann and there are plenty of shore dives or boat dives. Unfortunately there aren’t any shops on Cape Ann that rent gear, but Undersea Divers is 20 minutes away.

+1 on Aqua Diving Academy in Portland. Check out the Maine-iacs Dive Club: Maine-iacs Scuba Diving club-Portland Maine (Portland, ME). Lots of good dive sites in southern Maine. If you ever come up mid-coast way, we'll show you around Penobscot Bay sites.
Dive safe,
Chip

THE number one dive shop in RI is Giant Strides dive shop. They have a well stocked store, everything from tanks to books, a big compressor, nitrox, mixed gases, O2. They run local charters and trips, their signature dive is the U853. The owner Red is an accomplished diver with several dives on the Doria and the artifacts displayed in the store to prove it. A diver can't go wrong doing business there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom