Solo diving in Coz....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't that what anyone would do before separating?

It's not what I would do. At all. If I was buddied up with an unknown diver who said "I'm going to sit on the bottom for an hour feeding fish with canned cheese", I would tell the diver I'm not interested in doing that, to please find another buddy and/or I'd speak to a crewmember or DM and tell them that I will not be buddying with this particular diver and give them the reasons why, including but not limited to why divers aren't supposed to feed easy cheese to reef fish.

I wouldn't just say "Ok you're doing your own dive I'll check on you when you hit the bottom and then you're on your own". It's irresponsible. Especially if I don't know anything about that diver's skill level and comfort level being on their own. She could have freaked out finding herself suddenly alone with nothing but a can of easy cheese and a few hungry fish for comfort, or had an equipment issue- and shot for the surface and embolized. It happens.

I wouldn't just say "Ok you're doing your own dive I'll check on you when you hit the bottom and then you're on your own". It's irresponsible. Especially if I don't know anything about that diver's skill level and comfort level being on their own.

She had no problem diving solo and was in agreement that she would feed fish and I would do something else. If she wanted a buddy she could have asked around if anyone else wanted to watch her feed fish. She chose not to ask around. Furthermore, this was obviously her thing as she told everyone on the boat that all she liked to do was hang under the boat and feed fish. We are getting back to the core of my argument... If one is certified one is expected to be self sufficient. That is what being certified means. If they aren't self sufficient and confident in their abilities they should be working with a DM to improve their skills and confidence until they are or they shouldn't be diving. Period. Anyone with a drivers licence is expected to be able to drive a car on their own - there is no buddy system.

My point is the vast majority of divers who dive the buddy system are generally not in close proximity to each other. They know where each other is but in an emergency situation as in NO AIR the odds of getting the other's attention in a timely manner is the issue. How long are you going to hang around shaking a rattle hoping your buddy hears and looks at you before you start heading to the surface? Choice is yours to make... drown shaking a rattle or get to air. As long as one is staying within recreational limits one needs no 15' safety stop. Yes we all perform safety stops as an extra precaution but recreational limits were set such that one can make an emergency ascent to the surface and not get bent (theoretically of course as everyone is different). Now, I'm not a technical diver nor will you find me deeper than 80' as I generally hang in the 40' - 60' range where there's more light, more color and the surface is that much closer.

Divers who are that far apart from their buddy when diving are doing it wrong. Your choice of aimlessly shaking a noisemaker or swimming to the surface should be a false choice when diving with a buddy.

. Anyone with a drivers licence is expected to be able to drive a car on their own - there is no buddy system.

If the vehicle suffers a sudden and unexpected breakdown the driver can simply pull over and call for help.

If they aren't self sufficient and confident in their abilities they should be working with a DM to improve their skills and confidence until they are or they shouldn't be diving. Period.

Many or most divers are not comfortable diving alone and they never will be. It's got nothing to do with skill and little or nothing to do with confidence.

Divers who are that far apart from their buddy when diving are doing it wrong.

Agreed but there is how it should be and there is how it usually is unless one is diving with a family member or friend. This is why I say the forced buddy system with strangers sucks and I wont' dive with an op that enforces such a thing. I will dive solo before I'll be paired with someone I don't know. If a dive op won't let me dive solo, I'll find another op. It's just that simple.

If the vehicle suffers a sudden and unexpected breakdown the driver can simply pull over and call for help.

You are missing my point.. I'm not talking about the vehicle... I'm talking about the DRIVER. Would you want to be forced to be a passenger in a car with some newly licensed 16 year old at the wheel on I-495 around DC during rush hour in the "mixing bowl"? Not me - I'd rather drive myself.

QUOTE="caruso, post: 8670511, member: 494646"]Many or most divers are not comfortable diving alone and they never will be. It's got nothing to do with skill and little or nothing to do with confidence.[/QUOTE]

Then I guess I'm in the minority. Why would I want to be forcefully buddy'd with someone who is not comfortable diving solo? Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of my dives are done with my wife as my buddy or friends. On the occasions she or friends have not been able to dive with me I've gone solo as I've not been forced to buddy up with a stranger. I have to tell you, diving solo is the most relaxing thing for me as I have no one to be responsible for other than myself. Not having to keep an eye on or be mindful of a buddy is a fantastic experience (for me I guess). If one is spooked to dive solo and has never done so, I'd say they should give it a try sometime. It is just fear of the unknown but once they've done it they will know it and find it to be the most relaxing dive they've ever made (but I could be wrong - depends on the individual).

I have to tell you, diving solo is the most relaxing thing for me as I have no one to be responsible for other than myself. .

I couldn't agree more as far as the benefits of solo diving especially vs diving with an unknown instabuddy and I have posted as much on many threads on this forum.

That much being said, if you aren't solo certified and you don't carry redundant equipment you just might find your options to be increasingly limited even in third world countries that never used to care much if at all about this sort of thing.

It's easy to say "if they won't let me dive solo I'll go with another charter" but in places such as SE Florida if you don't have your own boat you won't be diving. Some places won't even rent tanks to an uncertified solo diver who plans to shore dive alone.

I hear ya man, im pre internet pre cell phone pre pager. I read a book and underlined passages for my OW, none of that online study non stop distraction which doesnt help long term memorization like a real book.

From the instructors I talked to that lived through both, they say that students that did elearning have better retention than the the traditional book students. And I seem to agree, I still remember stuff a lot of stuff from my OWD elearning, but I can't remember most of the stuff that was actually new during my book based AOW course.

From the instructors I talked to that lived through both, they say that students that did elearning have better retention than the the traditional book students. And I seem to agree, I still remember stuff a lot of stuff from my OWD elearning, but I can't remember most of the stuff that was actually new during my book based AOW course.

huh, that flys in the face of what human memorization entails but to each his own. You cant highlight and underline passages in an online course. In fact ill double down and say that doing an online traffic school is basically the same thing and most people try to speed run courses online. Get er done as quick as possible.

You dont have the same feeling with a tactile real book. Not trying to go old school vs millenials here just stating how the brain learns. What you are saying is not based on any fact.

online college WILL NOT give you the same retention as a REAL COLLEGE.

If you dont believe me and you think you may have learned more efficiently online then please provide some theories backed up by studies.

I completely disagree. I passed my open water with a 100% score because I had read and highlighted and underlined all the pertinant info. It reinforces memory. Online studies provide zero reinforcement just a quick easy solution.

AND you go back and scan those highlighted points to study for the test. Again impossible with online courses.

A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom