Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Against my better judgement, going to be doing BHB on 06 July with a Pura Vida guide. Know it's going to be a zoo, but best day to do it before flying out of town later in the afternoon the following day. Very much looking forward to the first time there!

I don't understand why people feel they need a guide, for what is an easy shore dive with well demarcated areas for diving and tons of maps, online resources and assistance from the two nearby dive shops who are more than happy to go over the map with you and provide a workable dive plan. I did the BHB twice last month, it was the first time I was ever there and over the course of both dives I saw everything ever mentioned about the place except the hammerhead shark statues which I hear may not even exist.

My advice since you're diving on a really busy day is get informed about the site so you don't need a guide, get there early to be sure of parking and get in the water early to avoid the crowds. So what if there's a bit of current, it's really not all that bad and it can work for you if you plan your dive correctly.

Against my better judgement, going to be doing BHB on 06 July with a Pura Vida guide. Know it's going to be a zoo, but best day to do it before flying out of town later in the afternoon the following day. Very much looking forward to the first time there!
You will love it, and you will love your dive guide! Really nice and knowledgable lady.

I don't understand why people feel they need a guide, for what is an easy shore dive with well demarcated areas for diving and tons of maps, online resources and assistance from the two nearby dive shops who are more than happy to go over the map with you and provide a workable dive plan.

In our case, it's really simply. Between three divers, we have a total of 22 dives logged (11 each between myself and my wife, and zero...well, will be six by the time we get to BHB...for our son). And where we have the means, there is absolutely no reason not to have an expert along guiding the dive.

Enjoy your dive with a guide. Go slow. No, slower than slow. If you go at half speed, you'll see four times as much. Tell your guide you want to go slow.

Arrive early!! Decide how early you think is early enough ... and get there at least 1 hr BEFORE THAT!

Enjoy your dive with a guide. Go slow. No, slower than slow. If you go at half speed, you'll see four times as much. Tell your guide you want to go slow.

Yes!! SLOOOOOOOW! Then slow down some more! You can easily do a 2+ hr dive so no need to rush.

Arrive early!! Decide how early you think is early enough ... and get there at least 1 hr BEFORE THAT!

Or, if you don't mind getting a $30 ticket, just park in the boat trailer spots. Or, bring an empty boat trailer. I know a guy who does that. :rofl3:

Or, if you don't mind getting a $30 ticket, just park in the boat trailer spots. Or, bring an empty boat trailer. I know a guy who does that. :rofl3:

That's a new one!!

I don't understand why people feel they need a guide, .....
When I go someplace new and don't know the area, or conditions, regardless of how well documented the area is, there is nothing wrong with getting a guide with local knowledge. Takes the guesswork out of a lot of stuff and adds peace of mind. Good for Balek for knowing his/her limits and looking for peace of mind resources. As for the guide at Pura Vida, the only one I know personally has done a LOT of dives at the bridge and is very knowledgeable. Why not tap into that resource?

But, yeah, get there early that weekend. At least 3 hours before high tide if you want any hopes of a parking spot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom