OMS BC/W setup. What do I need to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm now looking at Scubapro hydros..
Noo.... We've lost one to the fluffy, gray, and murky side. Recant, Recant..

stuartv has several good discussions and a long review of the hydros. He seems to like his. It does sound more expensive, and maybe not as widely adaptable.
He did report that he would not pay retail price for the hydros. And that the freedom plate is better.

Recant, recant, recan... (fading into the distance as swallowed by the true dark side.) :wink:

ETA: I noticed you are at least a DM/AI. A dive pro assisting in a shop might unfortunately be expected to have one of their main line, non-BP/W, BCs. A benefit of the hydros is it fits that description; yet you started by looking at BP/Ws, so that may not be a factor here.

Yes it is all about the look

It's a pity that from the shop rack to the diver that look usually substantially changes

yes, it's all about the design! :wink:

and a greater pity the sacrificing of an optimal configuration for that look

I've only ever dove rental jacket BCD's.

Now I want to buy my own gear and started looking locally. The closest LDS was a ScubaPro dealer and they let me try out a Hydros Pro and a BP/W setup in the pool.

The Hydros Pro was comfortable. The rubber back felt good gripping to my back. It felt pretty much like any old jacket style BCD to me but it is back inflated. I tried it with the weight pouches on and I noticed how bulky it felt. It definitely didn't feel like anything special to me at all, considering the cost, as a total novice diver.

Immediately after that I tried a BP/W setup. Within about 10 seconds I knew I was going the BP/W route, solely because of the minimalist feel to it.

After trying both of those out, there was just no way I could buy a $900+ BCD knowing that I liked the feel of the BP/W better.

My BP and harness arrived yesterday so now I have the fun task of putting it all together!

Just took delivery of 2 Hydros BC's, for the wife and myself. She's 5' 2" and petite build. Got the small for her, men's M for me. Dry fitting she is really liking it (as do I). Will be getting it wet in a couple weeks. She would not do a BP/W, personal choice (it IS allowed!!!). We've only ever rented before. I was going BP/W but if you take the cost out of the picture of the Hydros (everyone's thoughts on value etc. are personal opinions only), then it's a nice BC and I wanted to be able to work though any fitment/adjustment issues with her having direct experience myself with the same BC. Getting her to a back inflate is change enough! Look at @stuartv comments in the various threads. He has a lot of BP/W experience yet he really likes his Hydros Pro in the circumstances that it makes sense for him. If those circumstances align similarly to your diving, then it may also make sense for you. Again, cost aside it is a very nice rig. Can you get as nice or nicer with a BP/W? Probably. Can you save money or even spend more? Yes, although spending more would generally require multiple wings, which would also then match the range of lift the Hydros has (35lb for women's S).

If I was buying just for me, I would strongly consider the Deep 6 package. The Freedom plate with a wing would be the other choice, but you have to join the long wait list for the plate. If you go this route, buy everything but the Freedom plate with the idea of transferring it to the Freedom plate once you can actually get your hands on one! Then find a plate you can use in the interim. If you dive it and don't like it, list the gear here on the forums and you will find buyers without too much issue!

Whether the Hydros Pro, Deep 6 package, or a Freedom plate set up, you really can't go wrong. I'm sure there are other options that will also work really well. Some will cost more, some less. But it's going to come down to personal preference at some point. You just have to dive them and see what you like best if you can.

Can you get as nice or nicer with a BP/W? Probably. Can you save money or even spend more? Yes, although spending more would generally require multiple wings, which would also then match the range of lift the Hydros has (35lb for women's S).
I agree with everything you said, except this. The BP/W allows you to customize your wing if you so choose. Getting a 30-35lb wing and diving it everywhere would be doing the same thing as your Hydros Women's S example.

I agree with everything you said, except this. The BP/W allows you to customize your wing if you so choose. Getting a 30-35lb wing and diving it everywhere would be doing the same thing as your Hydros Women's S example.

He was just saying CAN you spend more on a BP/W? The answer is yes, if you buy multiple wings to tailer your BP/W to every different dive you go on. Though, the fact is, with a regular SS BP, and a Hogarthian harness, you can have 2 sizes of VDH wings and STILL spend less than buying a Hydros Pro.... Of course, you could buy a full Halcyon setup with 2 different sized wings and then I'm sure you could spend more than the cost of a Hydros...

Size difference between short and regular Halcyon BP.

View attachment 524852
Marie13
Thanks for showing the size comparison between Halcyon short and regular backplate. I'm 5'2" so am interested in a short plate....looks like if I go Halcyon short plate I MUST use a STA, but for their regular plate, STA not necessary?

Marie13
Thanks for showing the size comparison between Halcyon short and regular backplate. I'm 5'2" so am interested in a short plate....looks like if I go Halcyon short plate I MUST use a STA, but for their regular plate, STA not necessary?

Depends on the wing you use. I have a Halcyon single tank wing. It doesn’t have slots for cam bands, so you MUST use a STA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom