Bali vs PNG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael_L

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I will have about a week to dive in early or mid-August, either in Bali or PNG. We're both intermediate divers with a leaning towards more relaxed -- as opposed to more strenuous -- adventures. I'm just beginning my research. Any opinions on one vs the other, or pointers to reliable resources to inform myself better?

Thanks much!

For such a short trip I'd go with Bali.
PNG is a lot of flights and time to get to.
If you want great Bali info go over to the Indonesia board.

Besides the flight cost to PNG is big money. You probably pay as much to go from Australia to PNG as it cost you to go from USA to Australia

Thanks! My wife will already be in PNG for work and I'll meet her at the end -- would that change your recommendations?

And yes, I'm now looking at the Indonesia board.

PNG has the better diving, so since she will be there, it really is not hard to pick the better option. What can you afford? Best are the liveaboards or Walindi. Cheaper but also great are Kavieng, Madang, Tufi and Rabaul.

Just remember you are comparing one little island to an entire country here. Bali is quite restricted for choice whereas there are dozens of Islands and places to choose from across PNG. You need to consider the choices of locations in PNG as noted in the post above. Most if not all will require flights to and from (return to Port Moresby) for international access. Much of Bali is quite "touristy" but PNG is not so it depends on what you like to do out of the water too.

Your wife being there changes everything :)

PNG without a doubt - IMO far superior diving - I'd recommend Milne Bay.

If your wife has Jungle Fever and needs shops and restaurants then Bali....but leave a week early so you can do PNG while the opportunity presents itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom