White Plague spreading on the Cozumel Coral???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The spread of this is absolutely alarming. Seeing it everywhere- it killing vast swathes of reef. So it all over Columbia deep and shallows and various other sites. We snorkeled Columbia shallows today and I got video- will post when I get back to the states. It’s bad people......it’s doing more damage than Wilma ever did. :(

I was there in May, and yes, I saw it on a lot of coral heads. What I saw was mostly on brain corals but there was some on other hard corals.

No one knows what is causing it, though some sort of bacterial infection is suspected. Increasing water temperature is likely a factor.

Sunscreen policy doesn't really exist on Cozumel. Obviously, the Marine Park would advise to use reef-safe sun protection, so would the local dive shops, but there is not enough posters reminding the tourists what to do and how to behave while in the water (as we're also talking about all the snorkelers)...

I don't think sunscreen is a factor, at least not locally to Cozumel. The effects are seen just as much on the southernmost reefs which are upcurrent from the areas where most people go.

Agreed, this is not sunscreen. Something much bigger. Brain coral and all the porites are dying.....

Any updates on this? Was thinking about setting up a Sept trip but depending on how bad it is I might try somewhere else this time.

Nothing to do with snscreen.

White band disease ravages coral reefs in the Caribbean

I would put money down on that it has to do with the massive uptick in farming in south america that then drains into the ocean via the amazon basin and is circulated all through the carib.

Fertilizer and Glyphosphate use are through the roof down there........and it circulates right up past cozumel/belize and on to Florida.

Reactions: JFS
I agree Brules, has nothing to do with sunscreen.. There has been a huge increase in land developments both on the island and the entire mainland from Chetumal to Cancun. A lot of pollution going in the water. I know of several Cozumel beach restaurants who dump all their dirty water out into the ocean. Playa Del Carmen had about 20k people in the 1990s. It's planned to grow to around 2 million.... Tulum has no waste water treatment and it has grown exponentially. Where does all their sewage go...

Wow......had no idea about the sewage run off........good grief. Then add in central/south america run off - that is no bueno.

The die off is significant.......its like small pox on certain corals (brain/stag/elkhorn corals).

I was there in May, and yes, I saw it on a lot of coral heads. What I saw was mostly on brain corals but there was some on other hard corals.

No one knows what is causing it, though some sort of bacterial infection is suspected. Increasing water temperature is likely a factor.
Are you seeing increasing water temp in Coz? I seem to be getting colder temps every year.

Back
Top Bottom