Doubles setup recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carbon tanks may not be available for scuba use in the US. I know fire departments use them.

6.8L at 300Bar = 1824Liter or ~60CF. Double up is equal to a HP120, which is like 39lb dry but -4lb empty. Double Canbondive 6.8L is 27.5lb. The question its empy buoyancy. If it is +8lb, then they are really equal in term of total weight a driver has to carry.

Has anyone suggested double AL80s yet?

I would say not a good choice in CA drysuit kind of environment. Hawaii/warm/wet/no suit, this would be a very good choice

Carbon fiber tanks are more buoyant requiring you to carry additional weight. This does negate some of the benefits of the lighter tank. They are also more expensive than steel tanks and have a shorter lifespan.

Carbon fiber tanks are more buoyant requiring you to carry additional weight. This does negate some of the benefits of the lighter tank. They are also more expensive than steel tanks and have a shorter lifespan.
You should take that up with Worthington as they claim you only need 1-2kg extra with the carbondive 300 scuba twin pack

What he said was -

Meaning - I saw divers racing past us on the mooring line - not Experienced Divers Racing Past Us... :)

Wow, I'm absolutely blown away by the amount of knowledge in this post. I'd like to thank everyone who replied; it has truly been helpful. To some degree even eye-opening. I'm going to contact the instructor and come up with a plan now that I am armed with much more knowledge than I had. I'll circle back and reply with my outcome so that others can benefit if they run into a similar situation.

For those that were asking:
Yes, I have gone through physical therapy for my shoulder. I'm pretty maxed out on how good it will get without surgery. Trying to put off that surgery as long as possible as the recovery time is absurdly long and I've gotten past the 'living with pain' part and now only dealing with limited mobility reaching back. If this ends up being a limiting factor to what I want to accomplish, maybe I'll have to commit to getting it repaired.

In terms of gas I'm used to carrying .. I will adjust gas according to the dive and what my buddies are running. On a shorter shallower dive I'll bring either 2x40's or 2x50's. On longer dives I'll bring 2x80's (I don't like the feel of 2x100s. In order to get good trim they pull on my lower back in a way that's uncomfortable after 30min or so).

Tantram, Good luck with your adventure, with your search for a good solution. I can relate in some way because I broke my right shoulder twice in 2 different motorbike accidents, breaking the scapula, severing tendons, etc. So I have at least an little bit of an idea of where you are coming from. Shoulders are very difficult to repair, and revalidate... I did my share of physio, surgery, and I still need to keep doing exercises more than 10 years after to keep shoulder flexibility. I just want to give you a kudos... just keep going, and trust me a GUE fundies is a real eye opener... one of the best courses to be had!

Twin 15s are shorter then 12s. Not sure you see 15s as twins, 18s is the next step I guess. You have to be crazy to use those to

Depends on the dive... I've done some OC dives to 90+ meters with bottom times of about 30 minutes... you need a lot of gas for dives like this... (think D18 pumped to 280b, 1 bottom stage AL80, 4 deco stages), and a scooter to carry all of it ;-)

Yes rebreathers are easier ;-)

Back
Top Bottom