Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the guide at Pura Vida, the only one I know personally has done a LOT of dives at the bridge and is very knowledgeable. Why not tap into that resource?

But, yeah, get there early that weekend. At least 3 hours before high tide if you want any hopes of a parking spot.

Nothing wrong with getting a guide especially if it's free.I considered it the first time I dived the bridge and was glad I didn't. I did a lot of homework ahead of time, knew the layout, where to find everything and confirmed and got even more info at Force-E when we picked up tanks, weights and a flag. The problem here is that the Op probably won't be able to get in the water any earlier and it will be one of the busiest days of the year, swarming with divers many of whom do not dive all that well and kick up a lot of crap from the bottom obscuring visibility. It was bad enough when I was there and it wasn't all that crowded.

As far as being comfortable in the water, moreso with a guide..I guess having a guide along gives a sense of security to some divers, but the BHB is one of the easiest dives out there with it's easy entry, generally good visibility, and shallow depths.

Haven’t been snorkeling/diving in a few months now but finally had a nice freediving trip to the bridge this morning. All the usual suspects along with 4 frogfish (a pair and two singles) a seahorse and a mating pair of octopi and an juvi eagle ray. Most pics touched up with dive+ App

Frogfish (walked right past GoPro when I set it down)
0C3C0616-7F43-49D6-A13B-F42A4BF5D947.jpeg

F4F547F0-5DD8-4237-A816-0788EC5ACAA3.jpeg

(Mated pair? Or maybe just two near each other)
3802527B-D189-497B-949F-94934F1DD810.jpeg

Got this guy in the bottom of the full pic.
22F9E3DE-D47C-4EB6-90B6-0DDDA4D6634E.jpeg

Seahorse
7BAD1B02-417A-4BE6-81A1-70EAA2C2ECBC.jpeg

Mating octopi!
C5AA75C3-4CDB-4973-B781-102E8E43B01A.jpeg

Eagle ray fly by.
E7E7EF85-C93B-4050-B47B-FCCFAA89C316.jpeg

Nothing wrong with getting a guide especially if it's free.I considered it the first time I dived the bridge and was glad I didn't. I did a lot of homework ahead of time, knew the layout, where to find everything and confirmed and got even more info at Force-E when we picked up tanks, weights and a flag. The problem here is that the Op probably won't be able to get in the water any earlier and it will be one of the busiest days of the year, swarming with divers many of whom do not dive all that well and kick up a lot of crap from the bottom obscuring visibility. It was bad enough when I was there and it wasn't all that crowded.

As far as being comfortable in the water, moreso with a guide..I guess having a guide along gives a sense of security to some divers, but the BHB is one of the easiest dives out there with it's easy entry, generally good visibility, and shallow depths.
Good for you! Glad to hear you had a fantastic dive!

Haven’t been snorkeling/diving in a few months now but finally had a nice freediving trip to the bridge this morning.

Dived the bridge on Fri morning. Saw all the same critters that you did. Add in a few octopodes, three batfish and a barracuda. Spectacular dive. Just shy of two hours. Vis was great and almost no current.

OMG!!!!!! I almost got run over by a fast moving manatee! Seriously! I could of touched it with my outstretched hand. Had originally mistook it for my buddy. My head was turned, and when I turned back, i thought my buddy was cutting me off for some reason. I put my hand up to stop me from running into it, before I realized it was a manatee!!

LOL.. yeah about that.. he is a rather large man and has already heard my version of the story!!!

Will be in area over July 4th weekend. What will crowds (and parking situation) be like around peak time? Would it be worth it to have snorkel backup plans off high tide if lot full?

^ ^ ^ ^ ^yes. yes. yes. Expect the park to close early because the lots will be full, my guess by about 9 am.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^yes. yes. yes. Expect the park to close early because the lots will be full, my guess by about 9 am.

Good to know. I figure we'll get there around 8am on Saturday morning, walk around to gather the lay of the land, and then wander onto the island to find a place for breakfast. Eventually get over to Pura Vida and hook up with our guide. Thankfully we'll be diving with them the three days prior so I suspect they'll let us keep the tanks/weights/rental gear for my son overnight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom