Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm going diving for the first time next week, and I have a lot of fillings in my teeth, so my biggest concern is about tooth squeeze. If anyone could answer me any of these questions, that would be great.

1: At what depth does it usually occur?

2: If I don't have issues with my tooth on the plane over there, does that mean I won't have issues in the water either?

3: If it does occur, does the pain stop once surfaced? If not, is it a matter of seeking an emergency dentist?

I know it probably won't happen, but for my own sanity, I'd like to know the answers to these.

Thanks

Usually upon ascent, and on into your SI

Your teeth are connected to your sinuses.

Ice can help.

More likely, study up on “reverse block”. Pinch and suck.

None of my fillings have ever bothered me.

It's only a concern if there's an air pocket under your filling. Do you trust your dentist's work?

It's something to be aware of but not something to worry about before the fact.

My teeth are mostly mercury and other derivatives (including caps and veneers). I have never had a problem with my teeth on any dive. I did have a problem clearing my ears below 100', trying to chase a new diver, but I know that wasn't anything to do with my teeth.

Have had a lot of dental work and worried about this but never any issue so far. The dentist need to mess up and leave an air pocket and the only way you will know is to dive.

My ex wife had extensive caps on her teeth. When she dove, the caps would hurt. They were the product of crappy dentistry. It is pretty rare, unless you have pain don’t worry about it. It results from air trapped inside your dental work. It started at around 15fsw. When she surfaced, it went away. Ear and sinus issues are far more common.

You can check by getting in a deeper pool or snorkeling, etc. You would probably start feeling it around 10 feet, if there was going to be a problem.

Never heard "tooth squeeze" until now. I have several teeth filled, capped, etc., diving with them for 14 years, down to as deep as 145' without any problem. Knock on wood.

the tooth thing I think belongs to an earlier time much like the bill of rights
but I've moved on to getting sucked up the hose of a firefighting helicopter

I would say that it is very rare and only likely to be an issue due to substandard dentistry. If they have left an air pocket in the tooth/filling, then I would suspect that it is likely to be a problem from a dental point of view as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom