Solo Diving in almost 0vis water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not change it to more accurately reflect your diving experience?

Not every one. Buddy diving is impractical in many scenarios, only one of which is very low visibility. Another is that an unknown instabuddy can be more of a liability than an asset if their skills are poor.
[/QUOTE]

When I signed up it asked how many Legitimate logged dives I had since cert. that was the honest answer. I’m a very literal person. Your the second person that has suggested I should change it so I just did. I couldn’t agree with you more about the instabuddy. Iv have played around on SB for a while now but never came across the solo side of it that’s why I posted this thread. Then one of the moderators moved me to the right place This is great in here haha everyone I talk to about solo diving it’s like having a child out of wedlock. You all are the first people I get to talk to that make sense to me.

When I signed up it asked how many Legitimate logged dives I had since cert.

Yes, that "logged dives" question that should probably be changed to say "number of dives". Lots of divers don't log their dives and some have thousands of them.

This is great in here haha everyone I talk to about solo diving it’s like having a child out of wedlock. You all are the first people I get to talk to that make sense to me.

I get a lot of that especially from non divers. "You dive alone? That's CRAZY!"

Yes I get a lot of that especially from non divers. "You dive alone? That's CRAZY!"[/QUOTE:
Haha I get it all the time! I do a lot of search and recovery and I actually loose a good amount of work because when someone drops something in the water and they start asking around about is there anyone that can go and find it for me ,so many people tell them it’s lost for ever you can’t find anything in this water there is this one crazy guy that dives alone you can try but you can’t see anything down there it’s just a waist of money. It pisses me off because I have a 100% record of locating large objects and over a 90% record for small objects. I just pulled out a Rolex that was lost in 25 feet of water and he dropped it two weeks before I got the call to find it. My profile pic is actually the dive I found it on its on my left wrist

Yes, that "logged dives" question that should be changed to say "number of dives". Lots of divers don't log their dives and some have thousands of them.

Yes I get a lot of that especially from non divers. "You dive alone? That's CRAZY!"

I just realized your a long islander we are practically Neighbors do you ever go to Dutch out in PA?

I just realized your a long islander we are practically Neighbors do you ever go to Dutch out in PA?

I've been there, years ago. Every once in a while on an off weekend I think "Maybe I'll go to Dutch". Then I think to myself, "Do I want to drive a total of about 5 hours (round trip) to dive in cold murky water on a van, some small boats, or even a suspended helicopter"? The answer from inside my head is always "no".But it's not out of the question. Swimming through a school bus still beats a great day of work.

I bought a boat 2 years ago and have been diving wrecks and jetties off of Port Jefferson, NY. Always looking for company, if you're ever interested send me a message.

I remember my instructor told me a story how he had an assignment to count clams in some large river (maybe Hudson, I forgot), so he searched in the mud in zero vis till he ran out of air and found exactly one clam. So some folks do this.

0 visibility. Come dive with me here in Monterey Bay. We call that a good day. LOL!!!!

If the viz is below a metre or so, depending on the site and how comfortable you are with it there is no real problem. I now tend to dive solo in north wales, if I could not accept poor viz I would rarely dive. Sure its a different type of dive, but it has its own joys.

A system we used for years at salvage in poor vis was to use a standby diver on the surface, the diver and standby were in contact using a shot line and system of bells and pulls.

Once I got my cert. last year I stayed in dive school the solo dive course is the next one I plan to take then rescue and I’m planning to keep going all the way. I love it the people I meet are awesome it’s become one of my favorite things to do.

I view it as a learning opportunity too. I like meeting new people and checking out new (to me) gear configurations. I’ve adopted a few changes to my gear setup based upon observations of other divers gear setup, as well as advice that I’ve received.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom