Deconstructing Avatars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this is actually a pretty cool thread from way back

My daughter, at devils den, doing her final skills after a team meeting with me when she wanted to bail

re "Deconstructing Avatars".....................

I'm gonna need another bag of Derridas.

Derrida, good one!

Mine named after 'Leonardo Fibonacci the medieval Italian mathematician who wrote Liber abaci (1202; “Book of the Abacus”), the first European work on Indian and Arabian mathematics.'
Fibonacci is credited with bringing Hindu/Arabic numeric system to Europe, eventually replacing the old Roman system then in common use.
Fibonacci - Medieval Mathematics - The Story of Mathematics

He also discovered the Fibonacci recursive number sequence 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55... after studying how multiple generations of rabbits breed :D
It is often found in nature, particularly in marine structures like the Nautilus shell in my avatar, which is a CAD construction so the combination links my favourite hobby with my profession.

The Golden Mean or Phi Ratio 1.61803398874989... is closely related.
The Nautilus shell spiral as a golden spiral

Fibonacci Spiral.png

Stellar Avatar, Fibonacci. When I was very young I explored that sequence and found that as it progresses, the ratio of one member to the prior approaches the golden mean. Go figure.

Mine is a picture of the smokey jungle frog. These are big frogs found in Neotropical rainforests. They eat anything they can get their mouths around. When (assuming you can actually catch one) you pick them up, they scream, kick like a mule and secrete a toxic foam. The frog I study when I'm in the tropics each year is (in my opinion) more interesting biologically, but not nearly so impressive to the casual observer. The smokey jungle frog is such a memorable critter that I decided to use it as my avatar.

My avatar is me ready to dive Lake Tahoe in 2011 using the Nemrod Snark III that I learned how to dive with back in '62. After my dad passed, my mom gave me all the gear pictured below (except mask and snorkel). I never knew they had kept any of the SCUBA gear after my dad went on to other hobbies. It all functioned properly, although the retaining ring on the reg was going bad, but VDH had one that worked. I was sad the tank was not there as well, but...

I try to give it a fresh water rinse like this occasionally. I have a picture of my daughter using it in a pool, but have yet to find a picture of dad in gear. Since both he and I were mostly solo divers, there usually isn't anyone around to take the picture.

Bob

I was a SB member without an avatar for many years, as it didn't seem important to me. I don't have a lot of pics of myself, either underwater or above, but this one was sent to me a couple of years ago by someone I met on a boat in Cozumel who I discovered was a fellow SB-er.

Our rescue Chiweenie, Lady Finger, checking to make sure our gear is clean and dry before storing it.

Our rescue Chiweenie, Lady Finger, checking to make sure our gear is clean and dry before storing it.

Or considering it over the nearest fire hydrant?

You have to read the first post in a particular thread to understand mine..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom