Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pockets themselves are still really big. I think they'll hold something like 10# of weight each.

To me, what would have been cool is if the travel waist belt included 2 smaller pockets (hold up to 5# in each) and some provision to put them on the waist belt where they would not slide around. But, I can see why they didn't do that. Probably almost nobody would use them, so it would drive up the cost for very little benefit. And, there are plenty of aftermarket options that will work and are cheap and easy for the customer to get and use.

You are describing the Seahawk 2 minus Monprene lol

I'm quite confused. The Scubapro Hydros is topend price-wise and seems to have some excellent qualities. To hear that divets aren't using the special weight pockets makes me question everything that I'd believed about the bcd so far
After diving the travel belt, I added 2 split d rings towards the back of the belt. I found I liked this configuration much better than the integrated weight system. I love diving the hydros, now I love diving it with the travel belt even more.

I don't really see the weight pockets as the main "new" or "high-end" feature of the Hydros. On the other hand the weight pockets are nice and I like how one can attach different accessories to them using the grommets and little d rings. If I wasn't always traveling, or if I needed more weight I would not hesitate to use them. It is nice that the BC comes with the tek belt and the standard weight pockets so one can choose.

As Stuart said, it would have been nice if the tek belt had a couple "built in" 5 lb weight pockets with the attachment options of the larger pockets. I think the light weight, quick-drying and "sticky" nature of the monprene are the big selling points. Those who have trouble with BCs sliding around without a crotch strap may find they no longer need the strap.

This is just how I feel....I can't back it up with facts or numbers or statistics. My sense is that when companies become Huish-owned, customer service, innovation and perhaps product quality suffer.
I called oceanic several months back with a computer question. Got little help, placed on music hold for quite a while and was treated to ads for Suunto while on hold. (I mentioned this in a post on the computers forum last year) I think Zeagle quality has slipped, and when a fastex buckle broke on my son's Stiletto and he called Zeagle to see about getting it replaced, they told him he needed to go through a dealer and have them ship it to Zeagle or fix it themselves; they would not permit him to send it in. I don't think that is how it would have been handled a few years back. Atomic abruptly abandoned their efforts to produce a wireless computer (not that I was interested in it, but....) Liquivision had an innovative dive computer and was working on the next generation and at least claimed it was in beta testing when they were bought by Huish. The business was soon shut down. I do not know if they offer service for any of their old products. I hope so. I feel like my recent Bare wetsuit is less warm and lower quality than my earlier ones.

Overall, I don't get a good feeling about businesses bought by Huish. But I could be proven wrong and I hope I am wrong. In the meantime, I try to stay clear as much as I can.

Again, this is just my personal opinion. I have no other information, and may be completely off base on this.

Just to be clear, I think Atomic regs and Zeagle BCDs are (or at least were) excellent, and my family use a selection of Oceanic computers as either primary or backup computers. I am using a couple of Bare wetsuits, and probably some other product now made by Huish companies. My issue is these companies getting bought by an investor whom I fear will devalue the brands. So, please, don't think I am bashing the products, other than my specific comments above. Nonetheless, when I look at a product made by Huish, I hesitate for that reason and try to buy other products.

I will give Huish this....Dan Huish has a really, really, really nice boat.
Atomic: built for comfortable long-range cruising

I can't find medium size. Scubapro website and Leisure Pro don't have it in stock. Is Hydrospro 2 coming up maybe?

Try calling the SUUNTO support number in the USA. :(

I wasn't "disputing" or questioning the claim as much as wanting to know why for real. My impression of Atomic, and Atomic especially, is that they have first rate products and service. I have no experience with the other brands under the Huish group except for Suunto. Suunto is the most horrible company in customer service and product reliability and after-sales customer care and attitude for sure, in the US or in Europe no doubt about it.

I can't find medium size. Scubapro website and Leisure Pro don't have it in stock. Is Hydrospro 2 coming up maybe?

Medium sized Hydros Pros have always been difficult to source. It took me nearly a year to get one in Australia. I think they are just the most popular size and sell out as fast as they make them.

I wasn't "disputing" or questioning the claim as much as wanting to know why for real. My impression of Atomic, and Atomic especially, is that they have first rate products and service. I have no experience with the other brands under the Huish group except for Suunto. Suunto is the most horrible company in customer service and product reliability and after-sales customer care and attitude for sure, in the US or in Europe no doubt about it.

AA is good DESPITE Huish. IMO SP has the best support team. Jules et al are incredible.

IMO SP has the best support team. Jules et al are incredible.

My experience with SP in France is fantastic. They have been most excellent and down to earth compared with the other big name brands with offices in Europe and France especially. I have also had fantastic experience with SP when I was a dealer in NY when I owned my dive center during the 90's through mid 2000's in NY. Atomic, only Atomic, was excellent also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom