Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Koh Lanta is famous for Hin Daeng and Hin Muang, for the possibility of seeing Mantas or Whale Sharks, but the diving there itself is pretty boring for me, as you basically circle the pinnacles in hopes of seeing one, and if you don't, there isn't much else to see/photograph, as you're constantly moving.

There is actually some decent macro photography subjects on the sites too. But most people are there solely with the hopes of seeing the big stuff, hence the guides focus on moving between the known cleaning areas. If you want to concentrate on photographing smaller things, it might be an idea to book a personal guide, rather than joining a group...

There is actually some decent macro photography subjects on the sites too. But most people are there solely with the hopes of seeing the big stuff, hence the guides focus on moving between the known cleaning areas. If you want to concentrate on photographing smaller things, it might be an idea to book a personal guide, rather than joining a group...

That's cool. I'll keep that in mind for another trip. I've only been in groups so know nothing of the small things being there.

Where were your prefered dive locations during your trip. I am planning on going 2020. I am starting the planning early as it won't just consist of diving. So I would like to maximize my dive time. GF wanted to do more than dive.... humbug.

Where were your prefered dive locations during your trip. I am planning on going 2020. I am starting the planning early as it won't just consist of diving. So I would like to maximize my dive time. GF wanted to do more than dive.... humbug.

Here's some info about the dive sites - WordPress.com

That's cool. I'll keep that in mind for another trip. I've only been in groups so know nothing of the small things being there.
I normally pay for a private guide, B150 per dive. The exemption being checkout dives or if I decide not to take the camera (if for some reason I haven’t had the time to prep the o rings).

I’ve been diving in Thailand 6 times from the U.K. and each time it’s worked out cheaper that going to the US or the Caribbean. I’m currently costing up a weeks diving in the Canaries, but for £200 more I can have 2 weeks in Koh Tao - with a private guide there are lots of small things to see.

Last year I did a weeks diving in W Wales, it cost more than half 2 weeks in Thailand.

I normally pay for a private guide, B150 per dive. The exemption being checkout dives or if I decide not to take the camera (if for some reason I haven’t had the time to prep the o rings).

I’ve been diving in Thailand 6 times from the U.K. and each time it’s worked out cheaper that going to the US or the Caribbean. I’m currently costing up a weeks diving in the Canaries, but for £200 more I can have 2 weeks in Koh Tao - with a private guide there are lots of small things to see.

Last year I did a weeks diving in W Wales, it cost more than half 2 weeks in Thailand.
Where are you finding the private guides? Is this done with tank rentals? We have our own equipment, minus tanks. I would love to only spend 150BHT per dive. Could you tell me more on this matter? Also where did you dive to obtain such cheap prices? Where in Thailand did you dive? We were thinking of Koh Tao... Sorry I am rambling, I just peed my pants a little reading your post from the excitement.
We are trying to dive as much as possible for the least amount of money. I have been checking the prices and all are pretty expensive. Like I said, we have our own equipment, and would love to stay away from big crowds. And your charter trip sounds pretty sweet.

So the best i have been able to find on dive prices are roughly 25.70 USD (800THB) per dive. I am not sure where you were able to get roughly 5 USD (150THB) a dive. If you can share this gem of information with me, that would be perfect. I would plan my trip around this if its true.

What the OP means is that a private guide costs 150 bhat extra ontop of the usual price for a dive. This is still excellent value , we have hired private guide staff on various trips for various reasons and highly recommend this option.

Back
Top Bottom