Missed deco stop, lock out?

If you miss a deco stop and surface, will your dive computer lock you out?

• I don't know

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 53 36.6%
  • No, if no, please list the brand, and model, if relevant, below

Votes: 85 58.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both Veo 200 and AL i300 will lock you out. I would imagine any Oceanic rec computer would.

And, personally, I would be more upset about missing deco than my computer.

Bob

Sounds broken, contact Suunto

^^^^ Yep, probably like a faulty pressure sensor.

Both Veo 200 and AL i300 will lock you out. I would imagine any Oceanic rec computer would.

And, personally, I would be more upset about missing deco than my computer.

Bob

My Oceanics would go into gauge mode.

Personally I would prefer that any computer I have not lock me out irrespective of any perceived transgression. My Cressi Giotto will lock up if any deco stop is missed and not corrected within 2 minutes (it appears that it will immediately lock up at the 2 min limit and not wait until I have surfaced). That means if I choose to cut a stop by even a minute, I am locked out for 48 hrs irrespective of the reason why. That seems very heavy handed to what is a theoretical line in the sand. Also once the dive has started I can't change conservatism.

Better the computer that lets you see how you placed WRT loadings and lets you make the choice without locking you up. If I have an issue during a dive with the Perdix as my DC, I can alter the GF LO/HI to allow a hastier ascent (but still within Buhlman). It will not lock me out if I miss a stop but will recalc on the fly to adjust my stops.

Personally I would prefer that any computer I have not lock me out irrespective of any perceived transgression.

Your computer will lock out, if you ascend above your deco ceiling for more than 2mins (in your case)

Please provide realistic examples as to why you'd do this?

That means if I choose to cut a stop by even a minute, I am locked out for 48 hrs irrespective of the reason why.

What reasons would you choose to ditch your plan and blow through your stops? Do you have a back up plan or just intending to fly the back up computer?

I don't do big deco dives. I only do baby deco dives (max 50ish m), with 1, maybe 2 rich mixes for Accel deco. In almost 200 baby deco dives, I've not yet needed to abandon my stops, and never locked a computer in 800 dives.

I also can't imagine a situation where I'd dump my deco, and then be in a rush to get back into the water within 48hrs

Am I missing something ?

When I was diving my Prism 2 with a Shearwater Petrel as a back-up I surfaced once with it claiming that I had missed some mandatory deco because for some reason, probably error on my part, it hadn't tracked the unit's Predator controller accurately. I acknowledged the complaint and went about my business, glad that it didn't go into a snit and turn itself into a bottom timer for 24 or 48 hours.

Probably the fact that most lock outs aren't the result of actual missed deco, but some type of user misunderstanding of how their computer works.

Known in the "it" business as PEBCAK, "too dumb to own a computer", and many others all the way back to the "kind of confusion of ideas one is not able to rightly apprehend" (Charles Babbage, 1864).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom