First Time Calling a Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, congratulations on getting out there and diving on your own without reliance on "dive professionals." The fact you knew to call the dive, and did so, shows you had good training and common sense. We all have called dives for any and all reasons. My little group of old fart dive buddies started being called "The Breakfast Club" by our wives because we called so many dives one year. All legitimate excuses - waves too big, visibility non-existent, don't feel right... (we still tease one buddy for his lame excuse for calling a dive. As we are sitting on our boat gearing up he says, Guys, I think I'm having a heart attack. Fine be that way. After heart surgery he was back in the water. :) )
M

Absolute classic!

Sudafed can be a godsend for diving, but you need to know how you react to it, and people can react differently.
And the reaction varies. I've had the shakes from it one day, perfectly fine the next and then more shakes a day or so later. I was on a fairly remote island, so I only had what I brought with me. I've since moved on to steroidal nasal sprays for now. However, since I moved out of the Keys, my histimine events are rather rare, though I still break out if I have to work. :D I think I was reacting to the coral dust that affects so many down there.

Calling a dive in many ways is the biggest right of passage you achieve as a diver, next to getting your initial qualification.

As you have already understood. Whilst your 'in water' time may have been quite short, it was a day of many achievements, and many lessons. Taking on the challenge of diving without an instructor or guide, having the opportunity to assemble your equipment without supervision. Planning your own dives, and having confidence in the plan.

In my club, we spend a lot of time at local inland sites, practicing, training and just generally going for a dive. Whilst there is an expense to using the local inland sites. It, (hopefully,) ensures when we do travel to the coast, we get maximum benefit and 'bang for our buck'. I much prefer 'loosing a dive' at one of the inland sites, than when I'm sitting on the boat offshore gearing up for a 'salt water' dive.

On the nose bleed front. One of my buddies from many years ago suffered nose bleeds, and it was not unusual to surface and see him with a mask full of blood. The first few times it was somewhat off putting. He did eventually have his nose cauterised, which solved both the problem during diving, and stopped the intermittent nose bleeds he suffered with during normal 'surface' life.

That 1/2 mile hump with your gear woulda’ made me call the dive, maybe because it gave me a nosebleed.

The nausea may have been a result of the nosebleed, especially since it seemingly stopped and restarted-- the blood might have just been going down your throat into your stomach. Sudafed might have contributed to both the nosebleed and the nausea; I find any kind of stimulant occasionally messes with my stomach. Or maybe it just wasn't your day. I had one of those recently; I felt a bit silly calling the dive, but I've had a dozen great dives since then.

That 1/2 mile hump with your gear woulda’ made me call the dive, maybe because it gave me a nosebleed.
We did use our kid’s wagon. The wagon wasn’t really meant to carry all the gear on a dirt path though. But I am sure it helped a bit.

Kudos for the ability/willingness to call the dive, especially after the renting, the distance hauling gear, etc. Here in Maine sometimes we have to travel a good distance to get to a dive site only to find that conditions have changed, or something else has come up or happened so that the dive is called. It is a bummer, but not the end of the world. The phrase we use is that "the water will still be there."

::slow meaningful clap::

Good for you. Dive smart. Dive safe. Live to dive another day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom