Has anyone tried getting a prescription scuba mask (for vision)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After many dives, I can say the seethesearx.com lenses I had put in my mask are excellent. Highly recommend them

Please excuse me if I'm hijacking the thread, but I have a similar question to the OP, and it's one that I've never been able to get answered.

Are RX lenses only available for certain masks, or can I get lenses for the mask(s) that I actually use? Most of the prescription-grinder websites I've visited have lists of masks for which they'll make lenses, but none of the brands/models that actually fit my nose ever appear on those lists.

Are RX lenses only available for certain masks, or can I get lenses for the mask(s) that I actually use? Most of the prescription-grinder websites I've visited have lists of masks for which they'll make lenses, but none of the brands/models that actually fit my nose ever appear on those lists.

It seems there are three ways to have prescription lens

1. Buy one of the masks that offer lens that drop in. Your lds May have both the mask and correct lens you need. It seems this is the cheapest route. This works for some people but not those with strong astigmatisms. The prescription will also not be exact since you are limited by the intervals offered.

2. The second way is to pick out a mask that works for you and send it in to have a lens custom grind and glued into your mask. There are several companies you can use. Your lds might even have a local shop they use.

3. The third way is to go with a company like seavision which will custom grand lenses that fit their mask. This is the route I went with but you are kind of out of luck for trying on the mask first unless you are lucky enough to have a shop that has some on hand.

I hope this answers your question.

Please excuse me if I'm hijacking the thread, but I have a similar question to the OP, and it's one that I've never been able to get answered.

I sent my 3 year old well used mask to see the sea and they put lenses in it. I wouldn’t buy a mask just because it has Rx lenses. I’ve had to many masks that leak. Only think I had to do is mark with a sharpie how high up I wanted the lenses to go. Very easy and quick. Well worth every penny

I got a prescription mask before i took my OW class im kinda blind without corrective lenses . After picking a mask that fit and sealed right my dive shop sent it out to some place that ground my prescription then bonded the lens to the inside of my mask i have the one window type mask. all said and done mask included i think it was almost 400 bucks cause i needed high index lens. but i can see so its worth it. only problem is one of these days i should get a backup pair made.

Great answers here and thanks so much. I've been through the thread and still have one question:

I can see things at a distance pretty alright. My only issue is reading: dive computer and SPG. I've seen those cheap looking small lenses that you glue to the bottom of your mask but they look like an amateur solution. Someone also said in this thread that theirs they were gone with use.

Question then, is there anything good quality that I can buy? I'm OK to swap masks if need be. Please mind that I live in China, so US-specific solutions might not be available here. Shooting at the generic way therefore. Thanks for help and safe dives.

Great answers here and thanks so much. I've been through the thread and still have one question:

I can see things at a distance pretty alright. My only issue is reading: dive computer and SPG. I've seen those cheap looking small lenses that you glue to the bottom of your mask but they look like an amateur solution. Someone also said in this thread that theirs they were gone with use.

Question then, is there anything good quality that I can buy? I'm OK to swap masks if need be. Please mind that I live in China, so US-specific solutions might not be available here. Shooting at the generic way therefore. Thanks for help and safe dives.
I'd try the glue in readers. Cheaper. And if that doesn't work xs scuba has gauge reader mask..Gauge Reader Down View Design

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom