Scubapro G2 Screen Protector - Really necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Naboodiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just bought a new G2. I applied the scratch guard that came with it but I don't like it. The display is not sharp so I removed it. Do I need it? If so, can anyone suggest a different guard to use that supplies better screen readability. Thanks for the help.

If you *just* now applied it, I'd suggest leaving it set for a bit. My experience has been that the adhesive takes a bit of time to "cure" and the readability will improve over time. After a few dives and some time in the sun, I don't even notice it's there anymore. Obviously your mileage may vary...

CZS. Thanks for the reply. I wish I had considered some "cure" time. In the process of removing and reapplying it. It got worse (probably had something on my hands that messed up the adhesive).. So I completely removed it and trashed it. I now see some light scratches on the surface after adhesive clean up, so I think that answers the question of "is it needed". Any other feedback is welcomed on alternative screen protection.

I think you should have a screen protector. In the past I've had good success with the Zagg protector, the one you apply wet and it then sticks to the screen after it dries. I bought one large one for an iPad and cut it out. Surprisingly it works fine with scuba computers. What the other poster said is correct. It takes a few days for the bubbles to get absorbed and the protector to seat well on the screen.

I think you should have a screen protector. In the past I've had good success with the Zagg protector, the one you apply wet and it then sticks to the screen after it dries. I bought one large one for an iPad and cut it out. Surprisingly it works fine with scuba computers. What the other poster said is correct. It takes a few days for the bubbles to get absorbed and the protector to seat well on the screen.

Hatul, Thanks for the reply.

I found a Scubapro precut product from a company called Photodon. It can be purchased in a number of different protector finishes from levels of anti-glare to level for toughness. Anyone have experience with this company? I am thinking for ordering from them. You get a 2 pack of screen protectors for around 12 dollars plus shipping. Comes with supplies for installation. This beats the price of the Scubapro product.

Photodon site for G2 protector: SCUBAPRO G2 2.2-inch Wrist Dive Computer Screen Protector - 2 Pack

Hatul, Thanks for the reply.

I found a Scubapro precut product from a company called Photodon. It can be purchased in a number of different protector finishes from levels of anti-glare to level for toughness. Anyone have experience with this company? I am thinking for ordering from them. You get a 2 pack of screen protectors for around 12 dollars plus shipping. Comes with supplies for installation. This beats the price of the Scubapro product.

Photodon site for G2 protector: SCUBAPRO G2 2.2-inch Wrist Dive Computer Screen Protector - 2 Pack
They have so many choices I would not know which to chose.

They have so many choices I would not know which to chose.

I ordered this G2 protector from Photodon. Very please with the result. Fits perfectly. I chose the 9H0 film. A very tough protector but with a extremely clear result without any ill effects on the display image. I don't think you could put a mark on it if one tried to do so. I think this is far superior to the protector that comes with the G2. Plus got two protectors for the cost of one from Scubapro. Try it, you will like it.

These screen protectors are a huge improvement over the plastic covers that used to come with some computers. These would definitely interfere with readability.

I ordered this G2 protector from Photodon. Very please with the result. Fits perfectly. I chose the 9H0 film. A very tough protector but with a extremely clear result without any ill effects on the display image. I don't think you could put a mark on it if one tried to do so. I think this is far superior to the protector that comes with the G2. Plus got two protectors for the cost of one from Scubapro. Try it, you will like it.

Glad to find your review. I'm fixing to purchase my first G2 and was unaware of the glare. Was also unaware of Photodon. Saved me some frustration.

Glad to find your review. I'm fixing to purchase my first G2 and was unaware of the glare. Was also unaware of Photodon. Saved me some frustration.

Jason,
FYI - If you are wanting less glare the 9HO film is not it. The 9HO film was high scratch resistance but no glare reducing properties. If reduced glare is what you want, they have film types that offer it (see the photodon site). I was looking for something tough and clear (highly transparent). The anti-glare films are less transparent but would still be clear enough I think.

If you order a anti-glare film, I would like to hear your thoughts on how display visibility is impacted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom