My broken leg...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get better! Mind a question? When I see x-rays like those, I notice screws going through the bone and looking like the points are out the other side a bit sometimes. Is that happening? What keeps them from tearing up the muscle?

Immobilization of the affected area?

I'd say "break a leg" to wish you good luck on a smooth recovery all the way through but I don't think that works here. :D

You looked like you were in pretty good spirits and had good care considering the circumstances. Do you always plan your Scubaboard shirts to match the walls of a hospital? You totally wore it better. Get well soon!

I am so sorry that this happened Chairman. I broke my ankle and ripped all the tendons doing Jiujitsu. While my fracture is not as severe, I just want you to know that we are in this together.
IMG-0668.JPG
IMG-0677.JPG

I have been out of the water since March and half the season is over already. Not sure when I will be able to get back but let us keep tabs on each other and let us do a dive together when you get your leg back and when I get mine.

I remember that last time you broke your leg. The servers were next to Dayo in Winter Park and you were getting around on the 'leg-scooter'. Hope this time it's the other leg. Heal fast my friend!!

Pete how long do you expect it will be before you are back in the water?

In my case they put a pin in the tibia from the knee down, and attached a plate to the side of fibia.
3-4 weeks after the stitches were out I went diving!
The leg was weight limited to around 50lbs so it was kind of complicated but:
Put the drysuit on and walked into the water with crutches.
Buddies put my smallest set of doubles (double 7L tanks) on me and a fin and then we went diving (in my case with only 1 fin, and a rich nitrox).
Around a 100 minutes later the dive was over and I shed the doubles and fin in chest deep water, and with help, crutchs and a bit of time made it back to the car, whre friends helped me get out of the drysuit.
With the exception of the week I spent in the hospital due to my bone infection, I was doing at least 1 baby dive every week untill I was really able to dive, but with very long O2 decompression from non deco dives (Hyperbaric O2 is a treatment when bones don't otherwise heal quickly enough).

If at all possible, mobilize some friends, and do something similar.
Your peace of mind will say thankyou and you need a **** eating grin after all that.

Michael

Wishing you a speedy recovery Pete, you might have to work on that trim a bit once you get back into the water.

Perhaps a 3mm wetsuit with a 5mm calf on the appropriate leg :wink:

Pete, bad topic! This also puts your cave country house topic on hold, which I enjoyed more than this one....
Speedy recovery!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom