First Time Calling a Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had allergies for most of my life, starting when i was about 8 years old. I cannot take Sudafed. On top of the "too much caffeine on an empty stomach" feeling, it also messes with my heart rate.

I do take Benadryl of an evening, and that takes care of the worst of the allergies. Works for me, may or may not for you.

I hope you find something that works. Allergies can really take it out of you.

I have noticed that after a few dives, my allergies and sinuses are MUCH better.

DW

Most important skill a diver learns is when to call a dive!

Have you had your nose check by an ENT doc? A friend and dive buddy of ours was having trouble with nose bleeds esp when diving. He had it checked and it turned out he had a nasal polyp. The polyp turned out to be an early cancer which was successfully removed.

He will tell you diving (and a bit of caution) saved his life. He has gone on to do hundreds of dives all around the world since.

Calling a dive may save your life one day but so could appropriate medical diagnostics.

If you're not comfortable on a dive, then calling it is the right thing to do...although I'm still not quite clear what did it for you. Was it the nosebleed or the 8 foot visibility?

When diving in very low visibility with a significant other, I would suggest just holding hands the whole time. It makes the experience more intimate, safer, and more relaxing because you can much easier keep track of each other.

Off topic: you say this is your 10th dive for you and your wife on rented gear. If you plan to keep up at this hobby, it might be a good time to consider getting a full set of starter gear if you want to save some money ...which can be had for about $300 in total if you're thrifty (eg, $50 for a used BCD, $60 for a used 80 cf tank, $75 for a used first stage + regulator + octopus + dive computer, $30 for fins, and maybe another $100 for a used wetsuit). And after that, you could be diving for the cost of air (about $8 per person).

If you stick with it, you'll end up upgrading all that gear over time...but if you bought it used on a bargain you can probably resell it all for same as what it cost you.

We are all very quick to congratulate people on their certifications (and rightfully so) however in my mind this is as big or bigger of a reason to offer them. You and your wife did something that is very hard to do. Voluntarily put an end to something that you really want to do and seem to be enjoying.
There are more dives to be had.

If you're not comfortable on a dive, then calling it is the right thing to do...although I'm still not quite clear what did it for you. Was it the nosebleed or the 8 foot visibility?

When diving in very low visibility with a significant other, I would suggest just holding hands the whole time. It makes the experience more intimate, safer, and more relaxing because you can much easier keep track of each other.

Off topic: you say this is your 10th dive for you and your wife on rented gear. If you plan to keep up at this hobby, it might be a good time to consider getting a full set of starter gear if you want to save some money ...which can be had for about $300 in total if you're thrifty (eg, $50 for a used BCD, $60 for a used 80 cf tank, $75 for a used first stage + regulator + octopus + dive computer, $30 for fins, and maybe another $100 for a used wetsuit). And after that, you could be diving for the cost of air (about $8 per person).

If you stick with it, you'll end up upgrading all that gear over time...but if you bought it used on a bargain you can probably resell it all for same as what it cost you.

We called the dive mostly on the “too much caffeine” feeling. The bloody nose too. The low vis just made us reevaluate our initial dive plan. I like the idea of holding hands, we will have to try that next time we are in low vis.

I have wanted to get my own gear, mostly to be familiar with it on my dives. Some of my dives in the Florida Keys were with a different BC than I was use to, and I did not like it.

Most important skill a diver learns is when to call a dive!

Have you had your nose check by an ENT doc? A friend and dive buddy of ours was having trouble with nose bleeds esp when diving. He had it checked and it turned out he had a nasal polyp. The polyp turned out to be an early cancer which was successfully removed.

He will tell you diving (and a bit of caution) saved his life. He has gone on to do hundreds of dives all around the world since.

Calling a dive may save your life one day but so could appropriate medical diagnostics.

I have not been to an ENT yet. This was my first bloody nose while diving, and it started before I got in the water.

I have thought about getting my nose cauterized, but just getting it checked by an ENT is a great idea.

I have not been to an ENT yet. This was my first bloody nose while diving, and it started before I got in the water.

I have thought about getting my nose cauterized, but just getting it checked by an ENT is a great idea.
My wife suffered frequent nose bleeds until she had her left nostril cauterized. She hasn't had a nose bleed in years. It's definitely something you should check into.

Nothing "humbling" about calling a dive. Smart thing to do and you did it. No big deal, wait until it is a "trip of a life time" and you still call the dive. Fact is, you should always be ready to call a dive. In April, my buddy and I drove 5 hours to Cave County for the weekend, suited up that next morning, scooter, doubles, stages, deco bottles, scootered 10 min into the cave, and he called the dive. We turned, loaded the truck and when home...5 hours. No big deal, not his day/weekend to dive.

As for the sudafed, I would always advise never to ingest "allergy" medication. I have "suffered" my whole life with allergies, and only used 12 hr sprays, either OTC or prescription steroid sprays. Much better.

Nothing "humbling" about calling a dive. Smart thing to do and you did it. No big deal, wait until it is a "trip of a life time" and you still call the dive. Fact is, you should always be ready to call a dive. In April, my buddy and I drove 5 hours to Cave County for the weekend, suited up that next morning, scooter, doubles, stages, deco bottles, scootered 10 min into the cave, and he called the dive. We turned, loaded the truck and when home...5 hours. No big deal, not his day/weekend to dive.

As for the sudafed, I would always advise never to ingest "allergy" medication. I have "suffered" my whole life with allergies, and only used 12 hr sprays, either OTC or prescription steroid sprays. Much better.

I have tried sprays (Flonase) several times. I had Flonase as a kid (back when it was prescription), and I got nosebleeds from it. I started to try it again this spring with allergies and it did help until I got a pretty severe nosebleed one night. I can't say for sure that the Flonase causes the nosebleeds, but I am good with not using it.

I think I will just keep some Afrin handy if I am stuffed up before a dive. I know Afrin is not good to take regularly, but once in a while it should be fine.

you know, this thread had me have a good conversation with my wife and daughter.

I asked if I ever made them uncomfortable turning a dive.

They said no.....but they said I emote disappointment sometimes. That is something I need to watch.

Two examples, salt pier, watching an octopus in 30 feet of water and wife turns for ears. She said I turned immediately but she got a vibe I was bummed.

Second, diving in Aruba with daughter (several years ago), really wavy on the surface, she was delaying gong down, The dive master got impatient and got on her and grabbed her bcd control then she freaked when the dive master hit her BCD dump valve to get her under. We turned immediately, but she said I appeared really ticked off. (then she said you were probably mad at him)

Folks that get dives turned on them, watch your body language, make sure folks know it is okay, any time, for any reason.

Back
Top Bottom