PADI AOW+ certs and depth rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And logically, in the training part of the divemaster course, the Deep dive scenario should be limited to 30m (since the divemaster candidate has the same depth rating as an AOW diver), so taking the candidate below 30 meters (say 35m) is actually a breach of PADI standards, unless the DMT already has additional training (Deep Diver, TecRec) allowing him to dive to the max rec. depth limit of 40m...

Come on, this is a silly argument. By this logic, no one would ever be able to take "deep" training because they're not already "certified" to go to the depth required for the training.

Not sure where you are finding the "breach of PADI standards" in taking a DM candidate deeper than 30m. There is nothing in the standards that says "deep dive for DM candidate must not exceed 30 m."

Standards are explicit. For example, for Open Water Dive 1 of the OW Diver course, the explicit standard states "Descend... to a depth not greater than 12 meters / 40 feet." So for Dive 1 of the OW course there is an explicit depth limit of 12 m.

Can you point me to the explicit limit on the deep dive for the DM course?

I couldn’t find this anywhere in current PADI material, maybe depths were given as recommendations for fun/excursion dives in the past, but this notion seems to have disappeared from standards in the current PADI instructor manual.

If there is an explicit standard in the PADI IM that you are having trouble interpreting, tell us exactly what the standard is. We can give you our opinion of it, but if there is any ambiguity you should consult PADI directly (as tursiops mentions in the post above.)

If you are asking about something that you think should be a standard, but that does not appear in the PADI IM, then it is probably not a standard.

If there is an explicit standard in the PADI IM that you are having trouble interpreting, tell us exactly what the standard is. We can give you our opinion of it, but if there is any ambiguity you should consult PADI directly (as tursiops mentions in the post above.)

If you are asking about something that you think should be a standard, but that does not appear in the PADI IM, then it is probably not a standard.

To be fair, I think I also got my wires crossed with this. I was getting mixed up with tecrec which requires a certified assistant to be qualified to at least the level of the course they're assisting in, unless they are providing logistical support within recreational limits. For obvious reasons.

However, I would still not be happy using a certified assistant on deep spec dive 3 who hasn't had experience at those depths.

My girlfriend (new OW diver) brought up that question when we were on a dive boat and the DM said "the deepest part of the dive will be 80 feet." She's freaking out because she's only "certified to 60 feet." So I looked it up on PADI's web site and my understanding is that 60 feet for OW is a recommendation and once you dive to 80 feet you are now qualified to dive to 80 feet. I suppose she's also qualified as a "Deep Diver" because she's been to 120 feet. As for the certified assistant, yes, I'd go with the one who's already been deeper because you never know at what depth someone is going to get narced or how they will respond. My girlfriend got goofy and she's not going that deep any more, at least not with me :wink:

It's a validation card according to padi, not a certification card.

How do the other orgs define this? Are their stances any different?

It's a validation card according to padi, not a certification card.

How do the other orgs define this? Are their stances any different?
It is not a license. It is a training diploma. It verifies you took a course.

Kind of like your high school diploma.

It is not a license. It is a training diploma. It verifies you took a course.

Kind of like your high school diploma.
BUT! There are some jurisdictions (mostly frenchy places like Quebec and Tahiti) that actually have scuba police hence believe that your training certificate IS a licence. They have different laws that invoke different rules.

As I already said with what their stance is.
Agreed.

But I did not understand you wording as you claimed it was not a "certification" card. It is a certification card. That is why we call them C-Cards. It is just a certification card. It is not a license (unless you are in french land)

Agreed.

But I did not understand you wording as you claimed it was not a "certification" card. It is a certification card. That is why we call them C-Cards. It is just a certification card. It is not a license (unless you are in french land)
It certifies that you took and passed the class. Nothing more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom