Best small and light reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rc.chris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife is small, she uses a youth mask, What would be the best small light weight regulator? Don’t want to spend a fortune on it, she will probably only 5-6 dives a summer.

Aqualung Mikron. Small, light and high performing. Price can vary greatly depending where you buy and if older model or newer. There is some bubble interference due to small size and exhaust T but unless she's into photography or dives vertical it's not a big deal. I got used to it for the most part.

My 5'1" wife has trouble finding a small enough mask. She really likes her Aqualung Mikron. Small, inexpensive and generally well regarded. A couple of years ago the pink ("woman's") version came with an extra small mouthpiece, which my wife loves. I don't think that is the case anymore, but I think you can get the small mouthpiece separately.

The most important thing to consider is whether or not she needs a smaller mouthpiece, and then get the smaller size if needed. There is nothing about being a smaller person that really makes a difference on needing a smaller or lighter regulator. (No one out there looking for a bigger heavier regulator for a bigger diver, right?)

Having said that, the Mikron is a nice regulator and a good choice. But a smaller 2nd stage tends to underperform a bit when compared to a larger model. The Mikron Work Of Breathing is 1.1 joules/liter, while the Core is 0.8 joules/liter. Both are pretty good WOB specs and you may never notice the difference, but at least in the lab they are not the same. The Core doesn't weigh much more than the Mikron, and is $40 less. Probably something like half of that weight difference comes from the rubber hose on the Core versus the Miflex hose on the Mikron. (The 1st stages are almost identical.)

Don’t want to spend a fortune on it
Can you really say that to her in person to her face without any violent consequences and/or personal injury to you? :)

In regards to a her physical size and needing an "appropriate" size regulator, her physical size has no effect on the size of the regulator she should be using at all. Choose a regulator that has the best value/quality/performance/reliability/cost for her. If need be, you may have to replace the mouthpiece that comes with the regulator and install a smaller mouthpiece but that is about all that may be required to accommodate her smaller physical size (assuming that the size of her mouth and lips is proportional to her small physical size). I have had young teenagers with "petite" physique use our standard regulator sets without any issues at all.

Hands down, mikron! I own several, great regs, light, serviced anywhere.

She does have a small mouth, so I guess that the mouth piece is the main thing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom