spare air? i use one and i get laughed at

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol. Hovering between 90 and 100* and raining like a madman. Only thing that's changed around here since Harvey came through is the temperature!

With all that rain, new dive sites opening up everywhere!

Well at the very least we can derail it.

We have had a power blackout for 13 hours today with outside temperature in the upper 30's/low 40's C. Very yummy.

Esd? Are we going to zap a computer first?? ;-)

ESD= Extreme Shallow Diving. It's a lesser known type of scuba diving which is done in very shallow conditions, typically 6" or less, and with advanced ESD certifications divers are able to attain depths as little as 1/2" As you may suspect, extreme shallow diving is very difficult due to relatively small amount of water. There is little to no margin for error, and being so close to the surface leaves a diver exposed to countless hazards such as being run over by a passing mail truck or being urinated on by a stray dog.

The advantages are many, including the endless possibilities of dive sites and the ability to dive during the surface interval, or during inclement weather, perhaps in the camera rinse bin on the dive boat.

Before anyone who has never tried ESD scoffs or laughs with disdain just know that a good buddy of mine with advanced ESD Search and Rescue training made a small fortune recovering scented round cakes from men's bathrooms and retired at the age of 30. He's still in therapy recovering from PTSD due to bullying and teasing from those who found him face down in urinals but he's glad he did it and wouldn't change a thing.

Spare Air is nothing more than a placebo that was made up by the manufacturer of Spare Air to expand their market beyond the original intended market for Spare Air, helicopter pilots crashing into water.

Not that it’s a big deal in this discussion, but that’s a myth that gets repeated often when a thread about Spare Air comes up. It was not designed and made for helicopter pilots crashing into the water. It was made for scuba divers who might run out of air. Eventually it was sold and marketed to the military for uses like you mentioned but that was not why it was created.

Not that it’s a big deal in this discussion, but that’s a myth that gets repeated often when a thread about Spare Air comes up. It was not designed and made for helicopter pilots crashing into the water. It was made for scuba divers who might run out of air. Eventually it was sold and marketed to the military for uses like you mentioned but that was not why it was created.

I was an authorized dealer for Spare Air and a service center when I owned my dive center in NY MANY years ago and this was the information that passed down to me from the company. Perhaps they tell the dive center something and tell the other markets something else.

Spare Air is a joke, and a placebo, to use for diving especially considering how much it costs vs. a real out of air independent air source, the pony bottle, regardless of the truth of this story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom