Looking for input on a problem with a Legend LX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only time I've ever replaced a diaphragm is when I wanted to change the colour (G250/109/156). Most of these regs are very old. I've never seen one that "needed" replacement. Not saying it doesn't happen but in my experience it's a rarity, I wouldn't schedule replacement. YMMV.

Okay, so maybe replace every 4 years or so? Perhaps I can just ask specific questions about checking for pinholes, but not sure I would get much comfort from that. I have tried in the attached picture (from the web) to show in red where the tear was. The outer edge of the diaphragm is thicker and the tear was right where the material is thinner, and followed the circular shape of the diaphragm, if that makes sense.
I can see where you are saying the tear was. I am having trouble imagining how any day-to-day use of the regulator would put that kind of stress in that spot to consider it as expected (or even unexpected) wear and tear.
Prior to this trip, when was the last time it was serviced? And was it the same tech as identified the tear this time around, or a different place?

Is that photo of your actual gear, or is it some generic photo you found to point out the location of the tear? If that is your regulator, then at least this time around it looks like the diaphragm retainer was removed with a specialized tool that should not have caused any issues.
But I am able to imagine someone in the past using some other tool that involved inserted a couple of sharp pointed objects into retainer openings before twisting, and accidentally tearing the diaphragm below if they contacted it. That is pure speculation, but I am doing my best to understand how that could possibly have happened.

I borrowed the picture from the web. Not my stuff. I am not sure without checking but would guess the reg was serviced about a year ago and probably on had 20-30 dives on it since serviced because it was slow diving year for me. I suppose it could have been more like a year and half and then probably more like 50 dives.

I usually use a local shop for service and there are two guys there that do the work. I am pretty sure the guy who serviced it last time was the one that I don't really know and I am unsure if it was he that found the tear. I had told the shop owner (who is the tech that I do know) about the wet breathing so whoever worked on it was looking for the problem.

I will ask them about how they remove the retaining rings.

was removed with a specialized tool that should not have caused any issues.
A little bit offtopic: For what exactly is the tool? All legend/titan second stages i had in my hands in the past had the retainer rings only hand tight.
Is the correct way to tighten them over hand tight?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom