PADI AOW+ certs and depth rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can do whatever you want because PADI and the others are just a means for operators to take you diving without checking you out first - and nothing more - BUT:
- You should adhere to the limits set by an operator as part of the conditions of their business taking you on a tour, and not to make other people's experience difficult or even dangerous
- It is on you the customer to say something/step away/make others aware as appropriate if a dive operation has unsafe practices, even if this is just your opinion as long as there are objective reasons
- It is a good rule of thumb to enter novel diving experiences under supervision, and always with the appropriate equipment. So certain certs under a good instructor are useful, or if a good instructor is not available, your own due diligence research and reading plus the presence of an instructor is still better than pushing it alone. I think deep diving in particular is best approached via deep dive/tech courses, other specialities are a bit more questionable, to me anyway.

Agreed.

But I did not understand you wording as you claimed it was not a "certification" card. It is a certification card. That is why we call them C-Cards. It is just a certification card. It is not a license (unless you are in french land)

I'm looking at a padi envelope with recent card in it, says "validation card", it then goes on to say it is NOT a certification card.

Shrug.

I'm looking at a padi envelope with recent card in it, says "validation card", it then goes on to say it is NOT a certification card.

Shrug.

Which kind of card is it? OW, AOW, specialty? I can sorta understand why they might say that a particular specialty is not a certification.

Shrug.
I think that is a PADI Diving Society membership card, not a card that is about any level of training.

Which kind of card is it? OW, AOW, specialty? I can sorta understand why they might say that a particular specialty is not a certification.

That one is nitrox....I'll have to look at the others...

That one is nitrox....I'll have to look at the others...
That makes sense, even though we tend to call that a c-card. I don't think there are any written standards directing an instructor to verify scuba training status before issuing an EAN card. PADI may also want to avoid a scenario where their name is on a scuba "certification" card but not a single dive has occurred within a PADI course. Wouldn't be surprised if cards like Fish ID and Aware also contain that language.

edit: You can see their list of certification versus specialty versus experience courses with the drop down at this link.
PADI Course Catalog | PADI

. Wouldn't be surprised if cards like Fish ID and Aware also contain that language.

For what it's worth (2 centavos) I only have one PADI card and it's a Coral Reef Conservation card and it says: "This diver has satisfactorily met the standards for this certification level as set forth by PADI" so I guess they are assuming I'm already certified otherwise I would not have been qualified to take this course. Maybe. And by "level" they seem to indicate a higher level but I see it as more of a lateral direction. BTW this card is only about 8 months old and it's been in my wallet the whole time and the photo of me is fading away.

It's a validation card according to padi, not a certification card.

How do the other orgs define this? Are their stances any different?
In addition to teaching diving BSAC Branches also organise diving trips. Therefore, the certification limit is that a limit.

That said, its only if something went wrong would the certification and depth come into play - good old insurance companies see to that, so thay can riggle out of any liability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom