3D printer problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK gang. My frustration grows massive while my patience runs thin. Here are some pics of issues I am having.

First, I was having clogging and internal adhesion issues. The print would fall apart after the initial base was laid into a mass of string. I was running this filament at 205C.

ogQA5j2_skfR0CP5dj6FToI21-tIZsEMlPN5Ynhv3Zy-KfQykZC-sUzPxEWKfkV-nOG-bEY0kPQO8tpny=w2335-h1750-no.jpg

A friend thought I was too hot, so I backed it down to 200C and things got worse. Looking at one youtube, it suggested that I should try it hotter, so I printed at 215C. The print finished, but boy was it "spongy".

7kab5BLAUME2ynBW9lTHKdvpA_kE2drddSTvdoAb0NBPb3cQCIEBpLiTfYl-mdA2sa2OOk-DDGPOO2MQh=w2335-h1750-no.jpg

Pinched

8nH-ACORRzr8MWxxB1MXEFSADCKyLhQkIZ29fMkNnohRCb_ax7wdjSE-dwE-Dub8SoUMsyChJvqdVrorV=w2173-h1750-no.jpg

Not pinched
Other than the 215C, which I set manually, here are the other settings

upload_2019-6-26_19-57-12.png

upload_2019-6-26_19-57-49.png

The 20mm cube was kinda close, except for Z. I know how to adjust that on the Tevo Tornado.

2WtrceAwW5wLojoZndFpv3XGt0S4Mj-YrhyPQxBTkE-iHnyxduI1Ut5t7i7sBGApIU_5C0bf_2wAq9MMd=w2460-h1750-no.jpg

Are you getting any popping or hissing noises while printing? Steam coming off the nozzle? Poor interlaminary adhesion and a spongey surface finish often caused by filament that's soaked up some moisture.

Are you getting any popping or hissing noises while printing? Steam coming off the nozzle? Poor interlaminary adhesion and a spongey surface finish often caused by filament that's soaked up some moisture.
No hissing, but it's been out of the box for a bit. I can try a different (new) filament.

Have you calibrated the extrusion rate? I found mine out of the box was off by about 15% under.

Have you calibrated the extrusion rate? I found mine out of the box was off by about 15% under.
Not really sure how to do that. I really don't like my extruder. Is it 10mm before the extruder or out the hot end? I don't think it's putting out enough goo, that's for sure.

It is possible to dry the filament with an extended stay in your oven at a low temperature too.
I have an awesome vacuum pump... I would love to use that.

Not really sure how to do that. I really don't like my extruder. Is it 10mm before the extruder or out the hot end? I don't think it's putting out enough goo, that's for sure.

I don’t recall which printer your using, but if Running marlin firmware set up a Octopi, and then you can issue single commands to the printer. Google for Marlin calibration and you’ll find lots of guides. Here is one I found.
Extruder Calibration

It looks like your using Cura, you can increase the flow in the slicer as well. But I had more success calibrating the printer.

It's a Tevo Tornado. I found a good YouTube on it, so I'll deal with it tomorrow. :D Time for bed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom