Snorkeler Killed by Sharks in the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
We have noticed a significant increase in shark populations around Florida. No one fishing them, an abundance of Jacks and ARS, warmer water, equals more energy and sharks making more sharks.

American killed by shark attack in Bahamas

ROSE ISLAND, Bahamas - An American tourist was killed in a shark attack in The Bahamas on Wednesday.

The Royal Bahamas Police Force announced the woman was attacked shortly after 2 p.m. near Rose Island as she was snorkelling.

Broward%20Health%20Medical%20Center%20emergency%20room%20sign_1561468793405.jpg

MORE NEWS HEADLINES
3 tourists remain in South Florida hospital after Bahamas bus crash
Teenager survives shark attack, says people should respect the safety of sharks
Shark attack kills man swimming off Maui, authorities say

After being taken to shore, the woman was transported to a hospital in New Providence where she was pronounced dead.

The police say the investigation into the fatal attack is ongoing.

"The Ministry of Tourism, on behalf of the Government and the people of The Bahamas expresses its condolences and deepest sympathies to the family and loved ones of the victim of Wednesday's shark attack off Rose Island, near New Providence," the Ministry of Tourism and Aviation of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas said in a statement.

Rose Island is a small piece of land just northeast of Nassau.

The woman's identity has not been released as authorities work to notify her family.

The Ministry of Agriculture and Marine Resources has issued precautionary advisories to the public following the fatal shark attack.

Jordan Lindsey of Torrance, California, killed in shark attack while snorkelling in Bahamas

From Article:

Sharks have killed a Southern California woman vacationing in the Bahamas. A family crowdfunding web page set up to cover the cost of bringing her body home identifies the victim as 21-year-old Jordan Lindsey of Torrance. Commissioner Paul Rolle of the Royal Bahamas Police Force told the Associated Press that Lindsey was attacked by three sharks on Wednesday near Rose Island while snorkelling with her family.

CBS Los Angeles said Lindsay's parents and other family members saw the sharks and tried to shout a warning to her, but she didn't hear them in time. Officials told the AP that Lindsey was bitten on the arms, legs and buttocks, and her right arm was severed.

Wow! Terribly sad. Hope more information comes out on this.

A parents worse nightmare, how awful. My heart and prayers goes out to her family and friends.

It sounds like more than one shark bit her. It seems to me unlikely that this a case of mistaken ID. One shark I'll buy the mistaken ID theory but several sharks at the same time seems beyond possible. It makes me wonder if after the 1st one bit others joined in? Chillingly familiar, I'm halfway thru the book Indianapolis there weren't any mistaken IDs during that nightmare. Those sharks stalked those guys (according to the survivors description) and only bit lone swimmers or swimmers in small groups of 2 or 3.

A parents worse nightmare, how awful. My heart and prayers goes out to her family and friends.

It sounds like more than one shark bit her. It seems to me unlikely that this a case of mistaken ID. One shark I'll buy the mistaken ID theory but several sharks at the same time seems beyond possible. It makes me wonder if after the 1st one bit others joined in? Chillingly familiar, I'm halfway thru the book Indianapolis there weren't any mistaken IDs during that nightmare. Those sharks stalked those guys (according to the survivors description) and only bit lone swimmers or swimmers in small groups of 2 or 3.
Pretty unusual to hear about three tiger sharks attacking someone. Of course right around the corner of the island is Tiger Beach, where divers condition sharks to not fear humans and associate them with food.

Student, 21, killed by THREE tiger sharks while snorkelling with iconic wild pigs in the Bahamas in front of her screaming parents

Shark feedings conditioning tigers to associate divers with food?
Sharks associate food with food. Tigers have eaten humans in their environment long before there was scuba. It's why we have an atavistic fear of them. Sharks are curious and will mouth just about anything to try and understand it. If it's edible, they'll start eating and their friends will join in.

Perhaps, but most sharks are afraid of humans and the attacks that do happen are predominately mistaken identity. I highly doubt there was any mistaken identity here. Crystal clear water.

Nevertheless, I think it's naive to believe there's zero chance that these feeding dives are not conditioning sharks. Might be okay for scuba divers blowing bubbles, but it could be terrible for swimmers and snorkelers.

Is it so hard to believe or do people really believe sharks are dumb, that after months, if not years of humans feeding dead fish by hand to sharks in the water that if these same sharks see a group of people they might think they're going to get a free meal. "Oh look, there's a hand. That's where the food comes from."

We do not feed any other large predators, except sharks. I guess they really are dumb, mindless man eaters. :rolleyes:

Shark feedings conditioning tigers to associate divers with food? That will be an association that will be hard to undo.

This incident in the Bahamas has hit close to home.
The young woman came from a town I know well.
I wish her family peace.

I don't know the circumstances of this tragedy well enough to comment on it,
but recently I made the personal decision to no longer participate in shark feeding dives, or join any dives with the specific objective of finding or viewing sharks.

It is my opinion that these activities are unnatural interactions with sharks, and as a diver and a visitor to the underwater world I want to keep my impact at the most minimal level.

I need to stress that this is my personal choice, and I believe all divers should make their own decision regarding these activities.

K.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom