New Diver in Virginia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rohgren

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! New diver, received my open water certification in May via SSI. 13 dives total, all in Bonaire. Have completed four specialty courses (Science of Diving, NITROX, Deep Dive and Navigation.) Retiring next year so hope to be diving a lot more. Currently trying to figure out the most cost effective BCD/Reg/Computer combo for me given skill level, balanced with longer term goals while considering the wallet. Opinions on this board have been helpful, but choices can be overwhelming.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida...just take baby steps and get one piece at a time.

Welcome! For equipment, it's hard to go wrong with any of the mainstream brands (Scubapro, Atomic, Aqualung, Zeagle, and some others). You've probably noticed a strong opinion here on SB in favor of Backplate/Wing instead of the jacket style BC. I happen to subscribe to this, but some people do prefer the jacket style BCs. In terms of safe diving, there is nothing wrong with the jacket style. I recommend that you find a good shop you like and try some stuff on. A good fit trumps just about anything else with equipment.

Welcome! I am also from VA. Nice to have you here. We should dive locally sometime.

Hi! New diver, received my open water certification in May via SSI. 13 dives total, all in Bonaire. Have completed four specialty courses (Science of Diving, NITROX, Deep Dive and Navigation.) Retiring next year so hope to be diving a lot more. Currently trying to figure out the most cost effective BCD/Reg/Computer combo for me given skill level, balanced with longer term goals while considering the wallet. Opinions on this board have been helpful, but choices can be overwhelming.

Hello from Northern VA! Check out Mid-Atlantic States and Washington Area Scuba Club: A DC/VA/MD Scuba Meetup Group (Washington, DC) for some more locals.

Welcome to ScubaBoard and congratulations on getting certified.

Don't rush into getting equipment; if you can borrow some and slowly build up the inventory.

Back
Top Bottom