Best used regulators? First stage? Second Stage? What exactly is Conshelf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your best bet is to just go to the classified section here on SB and pick something from a mainline manufacturer, scubapro, Atomic, aqualung, apeks, Zeagle, etc. you’ll get bulletproof and easy parts availability (some easier than others) and much better hose routing. I much prefer modern second stages to the old heavy metal regs because the metal shows damage worse than newer “plastic” seconds (“plastics” meaning some amazingly tough resins that can really take a beating) some early attempts at plastic wasn’t so good (looking at you aqualung) for the most part if you do something that breaks a modern second stage it would likely do in a metal one too.

@couv Thanks, I found this thread on the 109/BA. If you have any other threads you recommend on it or related subjects, please let me know. I and still reading the 31 page thread on Conshelf that @buddhasummer so kindly sadistically sent out.
109 BA
Save yourself some reading and forget about the Connie second stage as it does not fit your model. I.e. how can it be "best" if it's not a 109/BA or a reasonable facsimile. :stirpot: Just kidding of course, but ask yourself this. What high performance second stage demand valve is the most copied by other manufactures and why? I'll save you a bit of research as I'm not a sadist like my friend @buddhasummer . The answer to the question is the Balanced Adjustable which is an upgraded 109.

See the attachment for more information on the SP poppet evolution-it will answer a lot of your questions. The cutaway pictures show how simple to service and bullet proof the design is. Also, see the PM I sent you.

Cheers,

Couv

Attachments

• Scubapro poppet changes.pdf
    813.4 KB · Views: 159
Save yourself some reading and forget about the Connie second stage as it does not fit your model. I.e. how can it be if it's not a 109/BA or a reasonable facsimile. :stirpot: Just kidding of course, but ask yourself this. What high performance second stage demand valve is the most copied by other manufactures and why? I'll save you a bit of research as I'm not a sadist like my friend @buddhasummer . The answer to the question is the Balanced Adjustable which is an upgraded 109.

See the attachment for more information on the SP poppet evolution-it will answer a lot of your questions. The cutaway pictures show how simple to service and bullet proof the design is. Also, see the PM I sent you.

Cheers,

Couv

My Conshelf challenges your 109 to a fight...bare knuckle

Save yourself some reading and forget about the Connie second stage as it does not fit your model. I.e. how can it be if it's not a 109/BA or a reasonable facsimile. :stirpot: Just kidding of course, but ask yourself this. What high performance second stage demand valve is the most copied by other manufactures and why? I'll save you a bit of research as I'm not a sadist like my friend @buddhasummer . The answer to the question is the Balanced Adjustable which is an upgraded 109.

Cheers,

Couv
@couv Thanks. I read it and I will post the most important paragraph for others that won't read the attachment you posted. I have a new book on my reading list. From the attachment you posted:

For a complete in depth education on regulator design and function you should consult Regulator Savvy written by Peter Wolfinger and available from www.scubatools.com. This is a must have book for everyone who wishes to undertake regulator servicing or who just wants to know what’s going on inside their “ Diving Lung”​

@couv Which first stage do you pair this up with and why that first stage? Feel free to post any documentation on first stage selection. Thanks

He's gonna say a MK10, just a guess. Because it's high performing, reliable and relatively simple to service.

Correct on all counts. You may add that the MK10 is also inexpensive to maintain and service. However, I do concede the Conshelf first stage and it's offspring are excellent first stages too.

Correct on all counts. You may add that the MK10 is also inexpensive to maintain and service. However, I do concede the Conshelf first stage and it's offspring are excellent first stages too.
@buddhasummer @couv In reading another thread, there were several posters who were inquiring as to why one would want to mix/match new regulator first and 2nd stages. There was concern about having to adjust pressure settings. With doing mix/match of these older 1st and 2nd stages, would there be any issues besides just connecting them with a serviceable hose?

Any thoughts on the MK10 vs Conshelf first stage as to which would be better at depth, cold water, more easily converted to cold water?

Thanks

Conshelf first, 156 second, best of both worlds. Had that combination once, sold it, regret it.

73509778-7CCC-4F11-913A-D80D8BBC4D42.jpeg

With an older AL Titan
78744D29-37E0-4567-98E7-6919DA78ABFC.jpeg
8C151142-52F2-40E0-818E-695CF22C6735.jpeg

With Apeks DS4

Just showing off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom