I'm 71 and DAN won't insure me -- now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I am a Washington Resident which means ONLY the Guardian policy is available to me and AIG, the reinsurer (?) is now enforcing the provision limiting to under 71.

I'm a bit distressed that no one seems to know of any dive insurer other than Dive Assure or DAN.

Hmmmm.

So I wonder what it means that I am well over 70 but have the Guardian Plan; does this mean my plan is invalid? Seems like DAN needs to notify us folks who are falling through this crack....

Do you live in Vermont?

The answer for Peter seems obvious. He shall have to move to another state. :p

So I wonder what it means that I am well over 70 but have the Guardian Plan; does this mean my plan is invalid? Seems like DAN needs to notify us folks who are falling through this crack....

You should call them and ask, the guy I talked to said that the max age "recently came to their attention" so I think that they have been caught with their wetsuits down! They may be in the process of notifying all of their over 70 customers of the change.

Do you live in Vermont?

If you are over 70 then the Guardian plan isn't available to you no matter where you live, but you will probably be able to buy one of their other plans - if you wish.

Do you live in Vermont?

That has been suggested BUT is NOT in the cards!

You should call them and ask, the guy I talked to said that the max age "recently came to their attention" so I think that they have been caught with their wetsuits down! They may be in the process of notifying all of their over 70 customers of the change.
I would hope that we are grandfathered in (so to speak) as having bought it in good faith and it was sold in good faith. Yes, I suppose I could downgrade to one of the other two non-age-limited policies, but I really want that higher-value policy.

Yes, I am a Washington Resident which means ONLY the Guardian policy is available to me and AIG, the reinsurer (?) is now enforcing the provision limiting to under 71.

I'm a bit distressed that no one seems to know of any dive insurer other than Dive Assure or DAN.

Hmmmm.

We always take travel insurance for a big dive trip that covers trip cancellation and interruption and also illness and injury. In the past we usually have purchased TravelGuard, which is administered by AIG. And I know that, in the past, TravelGuard did NOT exclude scuba and did NOT classify it as an "adventure sport" but I wonder if they've now added a maximum age exclusion to their travel policies? We are still under 70 so that never came up.

This year we decided to try a new company called Travel Insured International, because the price was similar to TravelGuard but the coverage seemed a little better.

Their exclusions specify diving beyond 120 feet, see below, and we are okay with that; but @Peter Guy is a divemaster and so that might not be a good fit for him.

"...participating in bodily contact sports, skydiving or parachuting except parasailing, hang gliding, bungee cord jumping, extreme skiing, skiing outside marked trails or heli-skiing, spelunking or caving, or scuba diving if the depth exceeds 120 feet (40 meters) or if You are not certified to dive and a dive master is not present during the dive..."

We also take the mid-level DAN dive insurance policy because it is annual (not limited to a specific trip) and is more extensive and inclusive for diving accidents.

I would hope that we are grandfathered in (so to speak) as having bought it in good faith and it was sold in good faith. Yes, I suppose I could downgrade to one of the other two non-age-limited policies, but I really want that higher-value policy.

I got the impression, when talking to the guy at DAN, that it is not up to them to make exceptions or offer a grandfather option. He said that AIG is now enforcing the maximum age limit and that is why they are trying to get a new plan approved.

From the letter posted by Peter, it looks like they are informing people at the time they are due for renewal, maybe the have to cover you (grandfather you) for the remainder of the policy since they sold it to you in error - but they cannot sell you a renewal.

When are you due for renewal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom