Harness with quick release - pros and cons question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danielk

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to switch the BP/W setup.
I need to choose a harness and I'm not sure what to pick.
On my current BC, I have 2 QR adjustable buckles. I have never used the QR but, I did use the adjustable buckles on my shoulder straps when getting in and out of my BCD. Although I tend to go with the simpler harness (single thread no QR and no adjustable buckles) I'm worried that it will be difficult to get in and out from the harness. On the other hand, my current plastic adjustable buckles do not hold anymore and I have to tighten them every few minutes during the dive.
What do you think? what should I go with?

Daniel.

I think you will find an equal number of opinions/arguments on either side of your question.

There are adjustable harnesses out there that use all metal hardware without a quick disconnect buckle...check out Techline as an example.

You may find, if the harness is adjusted properly (ie....the shoulder straps are not snug) that you might have plenty for space to don/doff your rig. You might also find it more comfortable to have something you can adjust....no body can predict what you will find comfortable.

Confirm the return policy of whatever you buy so if it does not workout you may be able to limit your losses.

I went with a simple hogarthian harness and for the most part I have been happy with it.

-Z

Basic harness is definitely not as easy to get in and out. I think that is about the only disadvantage. How much less easy depends on a few things tho. If you are diving warm water with minimal suit, the difference is probably not noticable. Cold water, drysuits with thick under garments, the difference is bigger.

Having that said, why not give basic harness a try and see how you like it. The cost is 12" of webbing. All hardware can be reused from quick release harness.

If you think you have to have a quick release harness, take a look at the Golem Gear G1 Adjustable diving harness. Unless you have shoulder issues, though, a properly adjusted, i.e. not too tight, one-piece should be fine.

(The assembly PDF no longer matches the harness as shipped as there is only one buckle now, but it isn't rocket surgery to figure it out.)

Basic harness is definitely not as easy to get in and out. I think that is about the only disadvantage.

If you ever plan on diving from a small boat where you need to dump your tanks in the water before you haul your butt into the boat, a QR shoulder release is mandatory in my opinion. The number times I've had divers damn near drown a foot from my boat as they struggle with their arms pinned behind them. On two occassions, I had to take my shears to the shoulder strap or they would have. I was careful to cut in just the right spot to install a buckle later on. :)

I know there's a whole school that considers a potential failure spot... but krickies, everything is. Personally, I"m a lot more concerned about my drysuit zipper failing, and about 16 other things. Having said that, but a solid metal buckle on or a delrin squeezy thing in. (I don't prefer those here as they're hard to work with cold-paralyzed fingers.

All my harnesses have a quick release. The latch failing is the least of things to be concerned about. As stated above, shedding the rig before boarding is a cinch and less stressful on the diver. That however is my $.05 (adjusted for inflation)....

@ajtoady makes a good point...
shedding the rig before boarding is a cinch and less stressful on the dover.

I was a big fan of quick release during my flirtation with doubles and tech diving.

On smaller boats we often had to remove our rigs in the water before reboarding. I found taking off a heavy rig in the water while wearing a drysuit extremely difficult, and even dangerous. Installing quick releases made it much easier.

Now that I’m back to single tank diving I’ve removed all my quick releases and going with a single continuous piece of webbing. It’s just simpler, and less things to break or go wrong. I’m also doing less small boat diving these days.

If this is your first BP/W you’re probably more comfortable buying a commercially available harness kit. But I find it less expensive and more customizable to make my own from materials easily available on-line. I like my harnesses sleek and simple, without all the extra hardware and padding I see on commercial kits.

K.

Thanks a lot for your help.
What about going with something that is in between not a QR that, totally disconnects the shoulder strap but a more adjustable shoulder strap like Halcyon cinch adjustable harness or the Tecline Comfort Harness? At least on YouTube, it looks simple enough to operate with one hand.
I mostly dive in the red see so, i don't see myself diving with a dry suite in the near future.

My preference is for a simple single loop harness. I have a Halcyon cinch I never use and also almost never adjust the shoulder straps on my JJ harness. However I do run the risk of some over helpful person undoing them and screwing up the adjustment when I have sat down, as well as boat hands clipping stages to the adjuster rather than the d-ring.

I am not worried about the chances of a clip failing, that is a rubbish reason, but the clips do take up space and add dangling straps.

Getting in and out of a single piece, non adjustable hardness is not hard once you are shown how and have it appropriately loose at the shoulders. I dive in a drysuit and am happy to take off kit in the water if necessary to get on the boat. Maybe Stoo’s divers needed more practice or better adjustment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom