GUE Fundamentals Class Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rvojr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did not have the time to write anywhere as detailed a report during the class as some on here nor have that kind of writing ability.

I started off with 14 dives (including OW and AOW) going into this and was very intimidated by the various amounts of other peoples dives of 80, 300 and 2k+. Plus It is taking me longer to get used to this and be comfortable in the water than most people it seems. Also I was probably looking like a diver directly off Scubaboard, with the xDeep Zen BP(Stainless 6#)&W and Deep 6 regs/fins which worked well IMHO. I had to switch out the fins for SP Jet fins due to them being too light. Thanks for everyone's advice on here. I was learning a lot of the stuff right then and then demonstrating in the water. It was an absolutely fantastic experience and am glad to have done it.

Most of the people I met both from the previous class and those in the class were really great people to be around and engaging. My buoyancy and trim have improved greatly along with my pre-dive planning. My Tec pass teammate probably would have preferred I was a little better from the beginning rather than watching me learn the fins of death and then learn not to do it, but it worked out in the end. Meredith Tanguay was an energetic, enthusiastic and quirky instructor who provided a low pressure learning environment where I really was able to absorb and distill what she was trying to get across. It resulted in a REC pass and 8 lbs less of additional weight wearing my 8/7 semidry. You can read the other reports to read the step by step activities. If I ever get to a point to do drysuit or even far off with doubles / tech pass, I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to her. It sounds like an infomercial, but if my wife or eventually kids started diving she would be my first choice to teach them. It has been a fun 9 months learning to scuba and look forward to continuing to improve.

Great job rvojr! I was in Meredith T.'s Fundies class at Dutch Springs 17-20 June 2019 and received a Rec pass also. Awesome and challenging course and Mer is a great instructor!

Mer is just fantastic. I had her for my April 22 fundies class in high springs. Im going back to her in April 2020 for my tech pass upgrade.

Mer is just fantastic. I had her for my April 22 fundies class in high springs. Im going back to her in April 2020 for my tech pass upgrade.

You gonna be ready that soon?

Also I was probably looking like a diver directly off Scubaboard, with the xDeep Zen BP(Stainless 6#)&W and Deep 6 regs/fins which worked well IMHO.

Did you get any feedback on your xDeep Zen? There are rumors that some GUE instructors haven't accepted Zen/Project as GUE compliant.

Did you get any feedback on your xDeep Zen? There are rumors that some GUE instructors haven't accepted Zen/Project as GUE compliant.
Does it depend on the harness? Doesn't one of the models have a harness with plastic buckles and padding?

Probably not. I don't even have a drysuit, doubles or can light yet.

I thought about my comment/question after I posted it, and I think I’m projecting my own frustration on you. I have been working at it in earnest for three years or so. I haven’t worked with Mer, though. Everyone seems to think she’s a great teacher. Best of luck on your journey.

I thought about my comment/question after I posted it, and I think I’m projecting my own frustration on you. I have been working at it in earnest for three years or so. I haven’t worked with Mer, though. Everyone seems to think she’s a great teacher. Best of luck on your journey.

Come to FL and practice with me. :)

There were a few items. One specific to the xDeep and others which could be an issue with any. The y-crotch strap was removed and replaced with an adapter which xDeep said they sell a couple a year world wide. NX to classic crotch strap adapter is the name of the part and the horizontal bracket bolts to the lower bolt. I am quick to call TecDiveGear with questions as the manager is very well informed, knowledgeable and willing to talk even when I know very little and ask basic questions. I did not notice a difference either way with the strap. I had to replace the deluxe webbing with a single piece of webbing which would be the same on any others with quick release and adjustment points that are not the Halcyon version. Lastly, I had to shorten the knob on the pull string on the back dump valve, but she would have preferred if I just removed it. I was working on technique of wrapping my finger around the string and roll the bc against the tank. Once I got the technique I was able to use the back vent but until that time I struggled getting air out. I wish I could say it is the best wing ever but is the only I have ever used, but I had no issues over just learning to dive the BP&W. We did a 10 min initial dive, Mer removed weights from my trim pockets and over the next couple dive kept removing weight. I was pretty much straightened out once I used heavier fins. It dried very quickly and was comfortable. Once the 3lbs of weight fell out of the large weight pockets so I started snapping the release through the weight pocket pull handle. It was much less than they were specified for. I ordered the small weight pockets to prevent this, but will have issues since if I dive salt water I'll probably need to add 6lbs of weight each side. It will be more than they can hold so may have to use the large ones again. YMMV as it is subjective per instructor. It was the first xDeep she has seen.

I was recommended to go to a dry suit next then after some experience to go to doubles. I'm definitely leaning towards a cordless light though after seeing it get a little tangled up on the other divers. I may need to get a second job to go to a dry suit plus primer, light, doubles plus primer, tech pass and then tech 1.

Back
Top Bottom