Update on the Sargassum Weed on Grand Cayman - Good News!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We mostly shore dive on Grand Cayman, with a few boat dives depending on the weather, but we do like to snorkel from shore on GC.

We usually stay at the Turtle Nest Inn in Bodden Town which is centrally located on the island and close to the South Sound and the East End and there is very good snorkeling available right in front of TNI.

The South Sound and East End have been hit hard with heavy influxes of sargassum weed this year, like so many areas of the Caribbean and Central America, but I received an update from the Managers at Turtle Nest Inn this morning and it was very hopeful.

Here is the message I received today and they also sent the attached pictures. I hope that they are correct and that the worst is over!

"...Winds from the south since mid-May had caused a considerable accumulation of sargassum on our beach and along others, and we’ve put tremendous resources into cleaning it up. Wind direction now seems to have changed, and the situation is improving considerably.

We have a team on the beach cleaning up the sargassum, and have heavy machinery scheduled to finish the job over the next few days. We feel that the worst is over. We never experienced any bad smell and our two pools have never been affected. We attach a few photos, taken yesterday and this morning..."​

IMG-20190626-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20190626-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20190626-WA0003.jpg

I have various contacts on island who say that most of the south shore is still pretty nasty, smell-wise.

I assume that stuff is too wet or just too nasty to burn?

It is too wet and too much. SMB has been good so far this year. It rarely happens on the leeward side of Caribbean islands. South shore took a big hit. Rum Point got hit hard last year in July but keeping fingers crossed for this year. They have a barrier in place which has yet to be tested. Morritts in the EE has a system in place as well but it too has not had a big hit to challenge it. The south shore has been really stinky but seems to be abating although there has been more coming across in the last two days. Hopefully they will get lucky this go round.

OH yes - SMB has remained completely clear for quite a while, now.
SMB was completely clear last week. There was plenty of it along South Sound and East End but I found the smell to be very minor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom