Need authentic local food in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this the one on the corner of about Calle 5? If so, I like the loncheria across the street (don't know the name). The guy cooks and his wife waits tables (and manages the corner store facing 20th) from their home. Basically everything prepared from scratch....huraches, salbutes, panuchos, etc. and served to about 3 or 4 tables in front. Cheap and delicious. Lunch for a couple of bucks. No liquor. I think they close mid-afternoon.

About a month ago my gf and I were stuck in the rain under a ledge along with some others and there was a food cart parked nearby. I've been eating Mexican food all my life and I didn't know any of the choices that were written on the cart, but some of the things mentioned here sound familiar. I was trying to translate the names literally, but that could easily be meaningless. We've never tried a gringa and some of the choices sounded a lot like shoes or panchos so I guess you simply have to try then to find out. We definitely need to start eating from more carts.

Don, the Mexican community is thriving in Atlanta, as in most other large US cities these days. We have loads of holes in the walls and a few upscales to boot.

We ate at a place called Fiesta Cancun in Minnesota, no less. I was, to say the least, skeptical. I got the impression that most of the people working there were from the Yucatan and the food was great.

Fajitas, crispy tacos, and later “chimichangas” come to mind. M.

I recently picked up an "Especial" at El Pechugon in Playa and it came with spaghetti. It had a red sauce and tasted a lot like Spanish rice. Is Spanish Spaghetti a popular dish that I have somehow managed to miss all these years, or something El Pechugon concocted to meet the demands of locale? Of course there are many tourists in Playa and other locations such as Puerto Vallarta but I can't recall ever seeing any tourist types at El Pechugon, nor do I recall any of the employees speaking English. In any case it's the best rotisserie chicken I've ever had and their potatoes are great too and we always pick one up next to the ADO station before we get on the ferry (we bring an insulated bag for this purpose). So far we have not made it to the one on the island.

I strongly suggest the sopa de carne at Dias 100% on 30th. Not on the menu, but ask for it.

El pechugon potatoes are great, all due to the Schmaltz.

View attachment 526763

I'll admit it always smells great walking past there, and it's almost always packed, but dang, way too loud for me! Is it ever quiet in there?

About a month ago my gf and I were stuck in the rain under a ledge along with some others and there was a food cart parked nearby. I've been eating Mexican food all my life and I didn't know any of the choices that were written on the cart, but some of the things mentioned here sound familiar. I was trying to translate the names literally, but that could easily be meaningless. We've never tried a gringa and some of the choices sounded a lot like shoes or panchos so I guess you simply have to try then to find out. We definitely need to start eating from more carts.

LOL. We always seek out the salbutes and panuchos. I think they're Yucatecan snacks (am I right, you Cozumelenos?) Huaraches are a Mexico City thing, if I'm not mistaken. I'd like to up my Mexican cuisine game--I think I know a bit, but there is always so much more. So many regional things, not to mention different names in different parts of the country for things that seem similar.

Just the other day I read an article explaining that in Mexico City, a "quesadilla" does not NECESSARILY have cheese. I know!

And there were at least two of them in Austin......

You said

There was another one around Burnet and Koenig. "It" refers to a single establishment. That's all I was pointing out.
I was asking if that's the one he meant.

I'll admit it always smells great walking past there, and it's almost always packed, but dang, way too loud for me! Is it ever quiet in there?

Not only is it loud, but the white LED lights are way too bright.
Next time, walk through the restaurant to the backyard area.
Sometimes the chairs and tables are stacked up by the wall, just set up what you need and enjoy the quiet outdoor dining. Not a "garden", but better than inside.

I
I'm not aware of any place where you'll run into crunchy tacos, enchiladas covered with chile sauce and cheese, or other delicious Tex-Mex things. Maybe if you really search. Basically, any place you go will serve you authentic local food as long as you stay out of Burger King, Carl's Jr, and the like.

Thx you da man! I saved all your suggestions man....

2 more:

1) Now is there a spot where I can get Jerk chicken, Costa rican casado or even any Belize style stew and rice?
2) Which place serves the hottest(spicy) dishes in the island?

BTW I will also ferry across to Playa once … if there's any there...

kris

Back
Top Bottom