Tech fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I currently have Atomic split fins, which I'm OK with overall, but they seem to lack maneuverability. Been looking at a new pair of fins and came across the Zeagle Recon, which is classified as a tech diving fin. Is there a particular downside for using tech fins for recreational diving?

CD...

A little late to the party but...

As you can see...the personal preference responses are all over the map...

Personally I swear by OMS Slipstream...which now come with spring straps included...no fiddling with buckles or strap adjustment...

Less expensive in comparison to most other ''power-fin'' models...

They're powerful...due to ''monoprene'' construction they are light as opposed to some of the ''jet'' style fins which are still made from heavy natural rubber...much more ''ankle-stress'' friendly...

They're large and take up a little ''packing space''...but additional suitcase weight is negligible...

With a little care and cleaning the Slipstreams will last indefinitely...the last pair of fins you'll ever buy...

Large foot pockets...take your dive footwear with you for proper fitting...

Mine are XXL...my shoe size is 11...they fit my ''hard sole'' wet suit boots...as well as my DUI size 12 dry suit boots...

Best...

Warren

I use OMS Slipstream with wetsuit and Hollis F1 with drysuit. Both allow me to maneuver and even back kick.

If you shore dive, and go out through the surf, jetfins with the original rubber straps are the way to go. Spring straps may not keep your fins on.

If you buy Jet Fins I would buy them on eBay. They are really sturdy and you can get them half price including postage.

The only issue is to get the foot pocket size right, I bought a XL and they are too small for my drysuit boots. Looking for a XXL on Facebook marketplace now :)

At least I should be able to resell the XL one if I don’t like it when diving with a wetsuit

I'd like to throw Apeks RK3's into the mix. Good fins cold water/drysuit but also good everywhere else (just got back from the Bahamas). I have the HD model and they are great. Like a mix of the Zeagle Recons and Scubapro Jet fins. I've only been diving for a couple of years but I'd recommend them to anyone...for anything.

+1 on this — I also started with Atomic Aquatic Smoke-on-the-water Splitfins. I love them for low-effort flutter kicking as long as there isn’t a strong current. However, wanting to learn proper frog kicking, dealing with stronger currents, and a desire to move into more technical diving led me to purchase a pair of Apex RK3’s. I love them so far; they do require more effort to flutter kick (but have much stronger propulsion), work great for frog kicking, and weigh considerably less than Jet Fins.

RwP

I'd like to throw Apeks RK3's into the mix. Good fins cold water/drysuit but also good everywhere else (just got back from the Bahamas). I have the HD model and they are great. Like a mix of the Zeagle Recons and Scubapro Jet fins.

I've only been diving for a couple of years but I'd recommend them to anyone...for anything.

I've been looking at these fins for use in cold water (at home) and on holiday/vacation in warm water. How is best with the sizings to order the ideal size?

I've been looking at these fins for use in cold water (at home) and on holiday/vacation in warm water. How is best with the sizings to order the ideal size?

Go into a shop that sells them and try them on, any aqualung dealer will usually stock them especially in the UK. But if you need reference I'm a UK size 11 wet suit boot and the large is a perfect fit for me. Anything more than a 10 in a dry suit boot and you'll need the super.

I match my fins to my diving. The majority of the time, when I'm either spearfishing or drift diving I dive with freediving fins. Tech setups depend upon warm or cold water and buoyancy, so I have some relatively neutral Deep 6 Eddy fins and heavier F1 batwing fins. I also own Scubapro Seawing Novas. Yeah, I know, overkill. LOL I rationalize it now because my brother and nephew have started diving and they are visiting soon. :-D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom