My broken leg...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to hear your doing better and healing up, Not rushing you to get back in the water but when you back diving I need you and Dan to solo certify me. Dan says Blue Heron would be a good spot. Any ways do get better!! Kristina says hi. Take care my friend
Not a problem, Rich.

ouch.png
get well scuba.jpg

Hey there Pete - I haven't been on Scubaboard for a while but SO GLAD to see this thread today. Have been thinking about you and your sidekick (Moose) and sending positive underwater energy to help ya mend. Sounds like you are taking care of yourself without going completely bonkers. I can't even imagine you as a couch potato. Glad to see you up and around but being smart about it. Kudos to your daughter. She's a gem.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

There's got to be a better way to get a unique souvenir from Fiji.

Update: Tomorrow will be six weeks since I broke my leg. Three days after my last post, on July 4th, I made my first steps without the aid of crutches. It was a bit sore, and I took a few days off, but it was my own personal "Independence Day". FWIW, I've been increasing the weight on my leg over time as I walk around the house. Then Mischka happened. This fifteen pound cat feels like he weighs 30. He's not fat, just huge and strong. I was sleeping on my side, when he jumped up and landed on the side of my leg. Ouch. I think he damaged the flesh above the plate and there was some swelling. I still took it easy, not putting any weight on the leg and even missed going to Gainesville Hackerspace this past Tuesday. Today, I started walking some more. No, not much and I bring my crutches with me. I even went out and worked on the mower deck: it's making an awful noise. Easy enough to get up and down, and the grass is a natural cushion as I move around. No stamina, and I'm sweating in no time. I don't feel any weirdness or wobble, but I'm sure I'll ache a bit tonight. I went up the stairs with just a bit of aid from my crutches. I'm thinking it's time to graduate to my cane. Chelsea is making sandwiches and we are heading to Troy Springs for aqua-therapy and I'll pick up the parts to fix the mower deck while we're out.

Diving Troy Springs was a blast. The water was chill and so was I. The walk to the Boil was a bit much. I was glad they had a railing and between it and my cane, I made it down and back. The water was awesome, and I got to swim down to the the wreck of the Madison, a Confederate paddle-wheeler that was scuttled at the end of the war just before the water mixes with the Suwannee. Here's a pic of me patiently waiting for the divers to fisnish kitting up to go diving.

66643509_10156605485283237_1535354953239887872_o.jpg

Darn cats!

For those who are still following this, I truly expected to be woken by an aching leg. It feels great! My right knee was a bit grumpy and so is my left ankle, but the broken leg appears to be fine: not quite broken anymore. I was more active yesterday than since I broke it, so that's pretty encouraging. I just finished the mower deck and got some mowing done. I replaced a stripped pulley and shaft of the right blade hub as well as the whole center hub. It's a lot harder to move around and this simple job had me sweating profusely. The deck belt popped off an idler pulley in a hard to mow area. It's never done that before, so I hope it's a solitary event, or I'll be replacing that pulley. Taking time to eat some breakfast and cool off before I go back out.

Maybe I'll break 2,000 steps today?

Back
Top Bottom