Do I need surelock i or ii weight pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathan Doty

Contributor
Reaction score
Howdy all,
I'm picking up a used libra that is missing its weight pockets. Can anyone tell if this takes I or II?
libra.jpg

I suspect that is the current Surelock II, but I don't know the old system well enough to know how to tell the difference at the receiving end by sight. Aside from "trial and error" if you have one of each to test, you could try asking your LDS to contact Aqualung and ask what year they transitioned - there should be a tag somewhere with serial number and production MM/YY. The Libra ran from 2006 to 2016, and utilized three different integrated weight systems during that time. It might be an answer as simple as the Surelock change happened with the switch from Seaquest to Aqualung. (I am not saying that is so, just saying it might be that simple)

Either way, once you figure out which system, you want to get a pair of 10lb pouches. There is more than one size made, but the Libra used 10 lb for all sizes at all times according to my documentation.

Thanks. I contacted aqualung as well and sent them the same picture. The response I believe is that it is the older surelock. They recommend and say the 10lb II will work but will 'fit differently'. I think the main advantage of the II is the rail system to make it easier to insert, which these won't have. But as long as they will secure in I think we'll be ok. We're pure rec and OW, as long as we weight correctly in the beginning the IN part only happens on the boat or on the beach.

In any case, the libra is going to replace my daughters ranger. It seemed to fit well on land, but once she's weighted and in the water it fits horribly on her. So it's going to end up relegated to the spare gear shelf!

Pricey little buggers aren't they? Leisurepro, $24 each. At least they ship free! I haven't lost a pouch yet, but Ive found some lead more than once. I think I'll be adding a little marker to them just in case one ends up getting dropped. I'm probably going to do the same to mine. If memory serves diverite pouches are really pricey and I load mine upside down :laugh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom