Boca Grande dive spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good news and thank you for the advice. We will probably plan on doing a dive on Red Rocks. I really appreciate the input.

Next question--Any good dive shops within 25 miles to rent tanks?

Hmmmmm.........................Well my dive shop is in Port Charlotte but I'm willing to bet there has got to be at least one in the Englewood area. How about it, anybody out there know of a shop closer than Fantasea?

I'm sure Reefguy will chime in on this, but the shops I know of in the area that are reputable are Fantasea and Depthfinders. :)

Yeah, there's a dive shop that just opened in Englewood, I can't remember the name right now, but I'll find out.

BTW, I was being tongue-in-cheek about the pass, guess I should have made that a little more obvious.

Just booked a week in Punta Gorda to visit my Dad and was reading this thread as I want to do at least one or two easy dives the week of March 22. Can you guys tell me about the Hopper Cars, Power Pole Reef, Palm Island Ferry and any other similar sites that would be worth visiting? I'm a relatively inexperienced diver with maybe 25 dives under my belt over the last three years and have experience in quarries, bermuda, cozumel, etc... all pretty easy stuff in 70' and less and mostly drift dives. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's been awhile since I've been to Palm Island Ferry but it is a nice dive. It sits in about 60 ft of water & has a nice group of Goliath Grouper. I've never been to the hopper cars or the power pole but I've heard that some of the hopper cars have collapsed & they both sit in deeper water. Be prepared for a bit of a ride out. The Palm Island Ferry is the closest & I believe it is 12 miles out. If you've never seen Goliath Grouper, it's worth it.

Yeah, there's a dive shop that just opened in Englewood, I can't remember the name right now, but I'll find out.

BTW, I was being tongue-in-cheek about the pass, guess I should have made that a little more obvious.

The shop in Englewood is located on the corner of Placida and San Casa. Just turn left coming off of Boca and travel until San Casa. The name of the shop is Something like swim, surf, skate. Its in the corner of the plaza

Walter, what's wrong with Red Rock? As long as there's decent vis.
I am interested in diving off of Boca Grande never been there and want to dive off the beach can
Red rock is a relatively easy & enjoyable dive provided the viz is decent. The other ledge that reefguy was talking about is on 17th street & it is also a pretty easy dive,again, provided the viz is okay. Walter is right when it comes to the pass & the phosphate docks. I hear that there is everything on the planet under the phosphate docks but the current really rips through that pass. It is an advanced dive & I would not do it unless I was with someone who had major experience diving that area. If you would like to do Red Rocks, give a shout when you get in town. I could possibly be lured out there to give you a tour.

Wow. Old thread.

I have dove a few spots off of Boca Grande.

Red Rock reef can be a fun dive, but needs planning and care. I wouldn't dive it after April, due to the large amount of big sharks in Boca Grande pass in the summer, and it's kinda hard to catch decent vis during the winter. It is a nice reef, though. If you stand at the lighthouse, look due west, and you'll hopefully see the shadow of the reef about 150 yards offshore. If you don't see the shadow, don't bother as the vis is too poor. The reef extends from west of the lighthouse south (towards the pass) for maybe 50 or 100 yards. Depth is maybe 15', and you can expect a decent current running north-south (but nothing wild, a knot or two).

I've also done Boca Grande pass several times. A really fun, intense dive, but impossible without tons of support (including LE and FWC). And if you start seeing lots of Tarpon, it's time to get out :). March is the best time to try for this. I wouldn't be caught in the pass after April.

Never done the Phosphate docks.

Any of the beaches toward the north end of the Island should be fine to dive, I'd just stay clear of any of the passes and their vicinity, due to very strong current. Having done it, it's an intense experience flying through the pass in a 6 knot current in 10' of vis, dodging toilets.

Unless I'm specifically up for adventure (and care to do the homework), I would just stick with Venice beach. This is definitely not an area to solo dive, either.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom